The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Good, Bad & Ugly - Linux Green Phone

by Skeeteron_mypeter / August 16, 2006 12:53 AM PDT

Dear Buzz Out Gang,
Some of you may find this interesting. There is a new phone that will soon come on to the market that is fully reprogrammable. This phone will enable small businesses and companies to develop new phone applications and technologies and also permit them to deploy these services on a common platform. A company based in Norway called Trolltech is developing the phone.

Ticker symbol (TROLL.OL).

CNET Article: http://news.com.com/Trolltech+offers+fully+reprogrammable+mobile+phone/2100-1039_3-6105629.html

The phone is based on the Linux kernel so application development for mobile devices can now be on an open source platform.

The Good:
----------
This is obviously a major breakthrough for small and medium size companies that wish to participate in the mobile and wireless revolution. With a platform such as the Trolltech Linux Phone, the opportunities for new application development and communication services is now open for those that wish to participate in this industry that was once relegated to only large technology companies. There is another added benefit in that new phone technologies and services could be created for the phone without having to dispose of it. Since the platform and source code would be based on a common set of rules and architecture, this allows for development of new feature sets without polluting the environment with disposable outdated phones.

The Bad:
----------
Acceptance for this phone could create a quagmire of specialty phones in the marketplace. Can you imagine having a phone for World of Warcarft, or a phone that works with Xbox Live, or a phone for "America's Got Talent" TV show, or a phone for the "The Simpsons" TV series, or a phone for Whole Foods grocery stores, or a phone for Victoria Secrets stores? I think that you get my point. In a relative short period of time, there could be specialty phones for almost every aspect of our lives. I could see where this could get a little crazy.

The Ugly:
----------
One really ugly aspect of the Linux Green phone could be the use of the phone?s open source platform for developing encrypted communications for terrorist and criminal organizations. Since the phone is based on the Linux source code, it would not be very difficult for a criminal organization or terrorist group to develop specialty technologies that would prevent law enforcement organizations from tracking their communications or whereabouts. A terrorist group could easily set a series of specific codes within a phone that would send ghost cell Ids or false ESN identifications that would prevent law enforcement from identifying the user. Cellular phreaking and hacking has been around for many years. With a Linux based phone, breaching security, hacking and phreaking of cellular services to prevent the user from being tracked will be a much easier task for those that have a determine agenda to do harm to all people on this planet.

I am not indicating that we should prevent the release of this phone on the marketplace; I am just indicating that this phone opens up a whole new arena of applications and services that can be Good, Bad and Ugly.

That is my opinion?what?s yours? Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good, Bad & Ugly - Linux Green Phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good, Bad & Ugly - Linux Green Phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yeah

I mentioned it on yesterday's podcast, did you catch it? I saw the phone the other day, the idea is good.

Collapse -
Re: Good, Bad & Ugly - Linux Green Phone
by Skeeteron_mypeter / August 16, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

Dear Veronica,
Yes, I did hear the podcast and the brief comments made about the Linux Green Phone. I read up on the phone and some of technical articles covering the device. In my post, I did not specifically indicate that the phone was bad technology. What I was pointing out was that even with the best intentions for new technology, there uses could lead to results that are both good and bad.

An example of a good technology that was used with bad intentions is point-to-point file sharing: The technology is absolutely wonderful but the resulting uses lead to illegal software distribution and music piracy.

If Trolltech were to make a conscious effort in distributing the phone and development kits to only authorized developers and companies licensed and or permitted to develop applications and services for mobile and wireless industries, at least in some small way this would minimize the malicious uses of the technology. Obviously, this would not guarantee or prevent unscrupulous individuals from developing applications for criminal and terrorist groups but it would allow for various governmental and policing agencies to monitor the development of applications that use the Linux green phone as a platform.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I really like the idea. Although I don't like it green
by cars4less201 / August 16, 2006 5:45 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.