PC Applications forum

General discussion

Good Back up Software for Win XP

by LordGop / April 23, 2004 9:26 AM PDT

I am Looking for a good backup software that could back up my system on CDs.

But if there is a better solutions like an extrnal Hard disk let me know.

INFO:
Hard disks: 2 IBM DeskStar GXPs in RAID 0
no USB 2 or fireaire

Thanks guys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good Back up Software for Win XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good Back up Software for Win XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by glb613 / April 23, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

I save my data, photos, music, downloads, etc. on CDs or DVDs I create with Roxio EZ CD creator. I don't find the need to "backup" my entire system since I have the programs on CDs in case I need to reinstall. I think most people can save what they need using a CD-RW.

If you don't have a USB 2.0 or firewire, using an external hard drive would be very slow. Adding either USB 2.0 or firewire ports is easy and cheap if using an external hard drive is the way you want to go.

Collapse -
Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by pgayle / April 23, 2004 1:07 PM PDT

I would like to know the same thing. The problem I had with Roxio Easy CD Creator is this: I have a lot of folders that I would like to back up. I selected the ones I wanted and backed up.. worked great. The next time I wanted to back up, I opened the "Data CD Project" with the list I had created and used it. I figured since I had already determined which folders I wanted, I could use that saved list for my weekly backups, and did so for many weeks. I needed to go to one of my backups to recover something. OOPS!! Roxio's "Easy CD Creator" only saved the files that were there originally. If a folder in the backup set contained any files that had been renamed, added, etc these were NOT included, even though they were in the "backed-up" folder.

So, to use Roxio, you have to re-create your project every time. The "save this project" feature is useless for backup.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by glb613 / April 23, 2004 10:31 PM PDT

You have to add the new information or data you want to save. I'm not sure if I completely understand how you are trying to perform a "backup" using Roxio. Perhaps someone else can be of more help.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by pgayle / April 24, 2004 7:45 AM PDT

Ok, here's an oversimplified example. Suppose today I use Roxio CD creator. I create a list of folders including "my documents" and and write it to CD. I save the list of folders as "backup project1". Tomorrow I do a new spreadsheet and save it as "new spreadsheet" in "my documents". Next week I open easy CD creator and open "backup project1" and write to CD. It only writes the files that were present when the project was first saved. It does not write "new spreadsheet" to CD even though it resides in "My documents" folder. So any new data in the folder is not backed up. You have to create the "project" again. Not a problem if everything is in one or two main folders, and you want to include everything in the folder. A problem if you need to pick and choose. You have to do it every time.

You also run into problems in Easy CD Creator with the length of path names if you have several levels of folders with long, descriptive names.

I have downloaded trial versions of three backup programs: Backup Plus, Turbo Backup, and Backup to CD-RW Made Simple. So far, TurboBackup looks the most promising, but I'm still working on it. It has the nice feature of templates to easily back up Outlook Express. (Yes I know it can be done without any special software but it's a pain.) Backup Plus also looks good.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by glb613 / April 24, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

"Next week I open easy CD creator and open "backup project1" and write to CD. It only writes the files that were present when the project was first saved."

Of course it would. It isn't going to add files to a project that has already been created and saved unless you do it manually. Sounds like you need either a second hard drive, a formatted CD-RW, some other portable drive or a program that will allow you add information as created.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Good Back up Software for Win XP
by Pasco / April 24, 2004 1:52 PM PDT

To LordGop and pgayle,
On 04/19/2004 10:08 PM I posted a item on this board regarding much the same problems. Several years ago I had a "Tape Writer" and a program that did much the same thing as you desire. The program would rewrite to folders and correct for any new files, add changes to old files, or delete files that had been eliminated since the last backup. It was nice since it was on a scheduler program that automatically did the backup each week. I got rid of that old computer (and the tape drive) when my work no longer required "exact" backups. I find now that some of my stuff would be nice to backup occasionally. Supposedly, Windows XP has a "Windows Backup Utility" that should (by my reading) do the "inteligent" backup, but I have not been able to make it work with any "Destination" except my "A" drive. I guess I really haven't tried that, as I don't have anything that small to backup. I wish I had documented what the program was I had with the tape drive (that was 8 years ago). Since XP now has the "Restore Point" function, I don't know how much file detail it will correct for. Back to the books !!! Lots of luck, because I know the answer is out there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.