HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Good, and free, pop up manager?

by grandpaw7 / March 19, 2004 7:17 AM PST

When I start up, I keep getting a couple of AOL instant messenger dialog windows. I delete AOL instant messenger from start up but it returns every time I start up. I also had this problem something called P2P. I uninstalled it, but I might let my teenage granddaughter keep it installed if I can keep it off of start up. I don't mind her having Instant messenger, provided I can keep it out of start up.

Is there a simple, good, and free start up manager that would do the job for me? I see that there are a lot of start up managers but I have no idea how they compare.

I can't tell if start up cop has a free version or not. Also when I have tried to get to a place to download it, I keep getting, not a download window, but a window for subscribing to the magazine, PC something or other. I opted out of Goolge pop up stopper but that didn't help. If I should consider start up cop, how can I get to a download window?

Thanks, grandpaw7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good, and free, pop up manager?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good, and free, pop up manager?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I MEAN START UP MANAGER
by grandpaw7 / March 19, 2004 9:10 AM PST

grandpaw7

Collapse -
Re:Good, and free, pop up manager?
by Kees Bakker / March 20, 2004 5:21 AM PST

Grandpaw,

Those instant messenger might be rather obtrusive. I don't know AOL, but my children have MSN and that gives the same issue.

If msconfig (which you probably use to 'delete from start up') doesn't work, it's dubious if other startup managers work. Startupcop just isn't free any more. You have to pay a subscription fee for the download site ($19.95 for a year,$14.95 if you have magazin subscription). It's not much for all the good software they have. But a good and free alternative is starter: http://www.softandco.com/a/276

A better solution to suit both you and your granddaughter could be to give her her own user name/profile on your computer. She gets her own desktop then, her own startmenu, her own My Documents, her own IE favorites and you can configure quite a few things separately. One of those things might be if you want the program to be run at startup. Here I have MSN popping up at both my childrens desktop, while on mine it's just an icon in the systray (which I don't mind so much). I think I got it this way by deleting the MSN-userid/password in my environment, or something like that. Anyway, that would depend on the program, and be different for AOL no doubt.

If necessary after making her username/profile (depends on the OS also) try uninstalling the AOL messenger, then install it while logged in granddaughters account. It might be decent enough to not intrude too much in yours.

Hope this helps. Please let us know. If you need help to create profiles, post again and mention your OS.

Kees

Collapse -
I am very pleased with the Google toolbar with pop up stopper....here's the link
by MzLee / March 20, 2004 6:10 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.