Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Good and bad email clients??

I have used Outlook Express for years and I personally love the program, most of the time. I also like IE. Windows XP and OE6 however, seemed to end the days of being able to switch identities with impunity; now the system crashes and I lose access to both email accounts, and the tips to fix the problem do NOT work for my computer. I've repeatedly had problems even after Gateway said it was all fixed. So now I use OE6 for my business email and Roadrunner webmail for my personal email (a pain).

I have tried eudoramail, netscape, and pocomail and wouldn't wish any of them on my worst enemy. I want something simple to set up multiple signature lines and that works like OE. Roadrunner told me I could have 2 different email client programs without messing things up, so I was planning to download Incredimail. Incredimail beta a few years ago kept crashing, but I've heard good reviews from friends lately, but I did notice a warning in another post NOT to download it. Why?

OK. What should I use, that works like OE, AND WHY please?
Is there any forum on this subject already?
Thank you,
RolandRhoades.com
Maine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Good and bad email clients??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Good and bad email clients??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Good and bad email clients??

In reply to: Good and bad email clients??

IMO, Incredimail is sort of the ultimate in Fisher Price type programs. Lots of bright pretty colors, flashy animations, and an interface designed with a 3-year old as the primary user, all designed to distract you from the lack of any real substance. Microsoft is no doubt taking notes for the next version of Windows.

Personally, I've taken to using Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org) for pretty much all my email. It's free, it's powerful, it's reasonably intuitive, and it runs on Windows, OS X, and Linux so I can have the same program no matter what system I'm using.

Eudora Pro is probably my second choice. No Linux version, but there is a Windows and Mac version.

Mail.app is quite nice for OS X only, and The Bat for Windows has a certain Spartan appeal to it. Of course I've really become a fan of Google's Gmail, and have been using it exclusively lately. Unlike most web email setups, Gmail's interface is based on DHTML so it's very fast. It's light on the graphics (just the Gmail logo), and the ads are all text and positioned unobtrusively. And with 1000MB storage, I don't need to worry about exceeding a paltry 2-4MB quota. To top it all off, all I need is a web browser and an Internet connection to access it.

Collapse -
For all of Google's Gmail hype...

In reply to: Re: Good and bad email clients??

I've yet to hear when the rest of us will be able to use this email service.

William

Collapse -
Re: For all of Google's Gmail hype...

In reply to: For all of Google's Gmail hype...

Well, if you don't know anyone who currently uses Gmail, people sell invites on eBay for a couple of bucks. There are also a couple of waiting list type sites that are free.

All I know is that they've raised the bar on webmail systems, and not just by throwing a lot of disk space at people. Hotmail, Eudoramail, Yahoo... All crap in comparison.

Collapse -
Edward too...

In reply to: Re: For all of Google's Gmail hype...

I signed up to be notified by Google back when I first read about their touted service.

No word yet.

They must be too busy raking in the dough with their IPO.

Thanks for the link Edward.

Collapse -
If you simply can't wait...

Collapse -
[NT] Re: If you simply can't wait... try spymac.com too

In reply to: If you simply can't wait...

Collapse -
Google's Gmail hype worry?

Please correct me if if I err, in assuming that Google is planning to scan e-mail, and add advertisements that it thinks are relevant to the messages. In addition, the Gmail privacy policy warns that messages, even if "deleted" by a user, may still be stored in the system, long after users have closed their accounts. Surely this would be a deterrent to most thinking users?

Collapse -
Re: Google's Gmail hype worry?

In reply to: Google's Gmail hype worry?

The advertisements are not part of the actual message. It's like any other set of Google ads you might have seen on any number of sites. Text based, and keyed to specific words in your message.

As for the privacy policy thing... I really don't think that anyone at Google is looking to keep private data on people. It's more likely they'll keep some on hand as a sort of statistical trainer, to try and better target their ads. It's not like when DoubleClick (the largest ad banner company on the Internet) was illegally linking things like email addresses to hits on their banner ads via the cookies they set.

Basically, I think that any court would probably rule that you don't have much reasonable expectation of privacy with email in its current inception. Think of email like sending a postcard. You can't stop any number of postal employees from reading what you write on that postcard if they are so inclined, so you probably wouldn't put anything on there that you wanted to be kept private would you? Maybe some day that will change, but right now you really shouldn't trust the privacy policy of any company because they ALL have a clause in there saying they reserve the right to modify it at any time, for any reason, and without any sort of notice. Google's just being up front about it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.