Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

GOM Player program came with TROJANS:

by wale30poO / August 1, 2010 11:19 AM PDT

I have downloaded a "GOM player" and two Trojans came hidden in the GOM program file: Partial "Ad-Aware Scan-Log", follows:

"Logfile created: 31-Jul-10 18:00:02
Ad-Aware version: 8.3.0
Extended engine: 3
Extended engine version: 3.1.2770
User performing scan: SYSTEMRemoved items:
Description: c:\program files\gretech\gomplayer\gomwiz.exe Family Name: Win32.Worm.Viking/C Engine: 1 Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 0 MD5: 016de0faab44ce1bf646003213a88155
Description: c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\gom player\gom wizard.lnk Family Name: Win32.Worm.Viking Engine: 1 Clean status: Success Item ID: 0 Family ID: 1075 MD5: 12dbdb7c1a8b45737ca1175ec4844760
Scan and cleaning complete: Finished correctly after 9296 seconds"

The player was a direct download from the GOM Player web site; Microsoft, Security Essentials, found another two Trojans, but missed those 'provided' by GOM Player.

Someone at CNet should go to the web-sites themselves and check the software

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GOM Player program came with TROJANS:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GOM Player program came with TROJANS:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did You Download It From CNET?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 1:12 AM PDT

wale30poO..

You stated it was "a direct download from the GOM Player website". GomLab offers two download sites. One being CNET and the other brothersoft. Did you download it from CNET?

I did. And I scanned it with three different scanners. All the files were reported as clean. Try downloading it from CNET here. At one time, the GOM Player came bundled with the ASK Toolbar. Whether it still does, I don't know. I also don't think it's relevant to what AAW reported.

I would suggest downloading it from the above CNET link. If AAW continues to detect it as a Trojan, I would then upload the "gomwiz.exe" to VirusTotal. If VirusTotal reports it clean, I would then report it to Lavasoft. It could be a false reading on AAW's part.

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

Collapse -
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND NOW MY COMPUTER IS SCREWED
by barrydickenson / October 13, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

I have always download from download.com and never thought for a second that there software would not be checked especially from a reputable website such a cnet because that wasnt the only software i have downloaded that gave me a worm/trojan but this one on gom really screwed me over and now i have to pay another 50 canadian dollars to format i also had your avg2011 fully installed with no problems but now i am having doubts about that from your site it did detect then sent to quarantine and i deleted them from there after my computer started messing up thinking that would work but no. now it boots up i cant use the internet when i boot windows i have to stop a bunch of processes do another thing to the tiles and then i get my desktop items ....but i cant do a system restore i cant use avg properly and good luck opening my internet connections...unbeleivable i have always recommended my family friends and others to get their software from your site and im sure everyone will soon catch on as well. that is if you are not already in on it!

Collapse -
Did You Read The Post Above Yours?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

Barry..

I'm so very sorry to hear about all the problems you're experiencing. However, I don't think they came about, as a result of the GOM Media Player download from CNET.

Did you read the post above yours? If not, please read the post. It's difficult to believe the GOM Media Player, caused such problems. Especially, since I tested it, in order to respond to the original poster. There are pages full of positive [urll=http://download.cnet.com/GOM-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10551786.html]reviews. I haven't read every single review, but I did read many of them. If the download was problematic, I would have expected to find some, which made similar claims.

You wrote, 'i also had your avg2011 fully installed with no problems but now i am having doubts about that from your site it did detect then sent to quarantine and i deleted them from there after my computer started messing up thinking that would work but no.'
What was the "them" you deleted??

I'm unclear, as to what the above means. We would be more then eager to assist you, but first need as many details, as you're able to provide. For example, in addition to what you deleted, it would help to know the name of the trojan and where it was originally located. And most importantly, information about your operating system.

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.