Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Gold Codec

Dear Friends,
a friend of mine who has a HP laptop running Windows XP recently discovered that his computer has been infected with Gold Codec spyware. ( He was trying to download a software and this sort of autoinstalled onto his system). Now the IP browser automatically starts up everynow and then and logs on to some objectionable sites.
Is there anyway this spyware can be removed. The Trend Office Scan and SpyBot, both installed on his computer cannot seem to catch it. Upon preliminary enquiries, the software smitfraudfix claims to remove it, but the download page of smitfraudfix itself warns that the download is infected with virus.
I would really be grateful if any help to solve this problem can be offered by this forum.
Thanking you,
Ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gold Codec
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gold Codec
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gold Codec

In reply to: Gold Codec

Try this:
Shut-down and reboot in "safe" mode. Do this by pressing and holding "F8" key while booting-->choose "safe mode" from menu.
Rerun TrendMicro scan, and any other AV programs installed on the PC.
Press "Start'-->Run-->msconfig-->OK-->choose "start-Up" tab. Look for any strange entries or listings referring to Gold Codec. Delete these entries.
Shut-down and reboot in normal mode by using F8 key again.
If you don't have it, download AVG Free. It seems to be particularily
good at finding these things. I never heard of it--which proves nothing! Good Luck

Collapse -
That will be AVG AntiSpyware, not just AVG Anti-Virus.

AVG AntiSpyware used to be known as Ewido, and like L'il Abner says, is very good at catching spyware.

Also, get your friend to download SpywareBlaster, not a scanner but an innoculater. It can also prevent browser home page hijacking.

Finally, in Internet Options, (Control Panel > Network & Internet connections > Internet Options), under the connections tab, make sure the option, "Never dial a connection" is selected, even if your friend is on a broadband connection.

Mark

Collapse -
gold codec

excellent solution. cheers

Collapse -
Regarding Gold Codec

Excellent solution by L'il Abner. Cheers.

Collapse -
Solution to Removing Gold Codec

I got my trojan today too! Woohoo!!! Silly

It's pretty nasty. Here's my notes. Hope it helps.

Gold Codec Trojan Info

2006/11/26
Symptoms:
When launching IE, it redirects to "fake anti-spyware/virus" sites to try to get you to buy it.
Random pop-ups also occur trying to get you to buy this garbage.
This trojan is difficult to remove because the spyware keeps coming back after you quarantine it (I used EZ Trust Pest Patrol).

Popup spyware registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\explorer\Run

Counter:
Trojan reloads if you try to delete its tasks and hence you cannot remove C:\Program Files\Gold Codec due to sharing violations.
I reboot Windows in Safe Mode and delete the above directory from the DOS Prompt so it won't load on startup.
Then you can reboot and delete all occurrences in Regedit.

Collapse -
Regarding my solution above...

In reply to: Solution to Removing Gold Codec

Mines above is a "free" solution that you can implement yourself. It seems to me that Gold Codec was made in order to sell "custom" spyware solutions, hence all the pop-ups and such. It does a good job at countering many "Reputable" Spyware quarantines. You don?t need to buy or download anything. Just do what I did above. And you will then be able to do this for many others like Gold Codec.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.