Laptops forum

General discussion

Going to University - Apple or Pc???

by mrgrinch_2000 / November 19, 2005 3:31 AM PST

Hey, im not very experienced with macs, and i've been using PCs all my life, but everyone just seems to be jumping on the Apple bandwagon, and everything i read says they never fail. Im going to be entering a university Business Commerce program and I was wondering which computer is better for me. I will say right off the bat that I like the looks of a Mac a lot more than any PC i've seen so far. I also know that Macs are aimed towards the more creative user, but is it ok for me to use it as well? Will i end up screwed in university with a mac even if i buy the microsoft office program for the mac? And if i should go with a PC, what brand has the best reputation? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Going to University - Apple or Pc???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Going to University - Apple or Pc???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Go with a pc...
by damasta55r / November 19, 2005 4:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Go with Mac Intel. RSN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2005 4:28 AM PST

The rumors are this January. Get the best from all 3 worlds.

Collapse -
I prefer Macs.
by whizkid / November 19, 2005 5:02 AM PST

Just because they are easier to use. Especially OS X. If I could find a cheap one, I would get an iBook.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ibooks are pretty cheap.... around $900....
by nerdyboy1234 / November 19, 2005 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: I prefer Macs.
Collapse -
PCs is the smartest way to go
by SuPaEz / November 19, 2005 11:35 AM PST

As a recent college grad, I had to install hundreds of applications which were school neccesary, but unfortunately for the Mac lovers (...?) almost 3/4 of the apps were Windows only. Get a Dell XPS if you can afford the best and want the best, if you cannot go with a toshiba.

Collapse -
PC is the way to go!!!
by apoddar / November 19, 2005 3:40 PM PST

i was in same position and i was thinking of wat to get and i really didnt have a clue. but u have to remember 95%of campus windows. they windows though out there campus computer labs. but just to be sure just ask the campus wat OS do they use in ther computer labs.

i would advice u go get windows, but was the software choice u have. u have the office software is the best. and if plan on getting a small laptop u would be able to use Onenote i love that software. i replace my mead notebooks with my laptop/notebook. it is great i really like using it in class. so as u can c it would be a wise choice to go with window of softwares. and ur a student u will recieve alot of discount off. i will be a wise choice.

good luck

Collapse -
Definitely MAC
by eleman76 / November 20, 2005 6:10 AM PST

You should get a mac regardless. Most likely you will spend many hours at the coffe shops writing papers etc. last thing you need is a power cable and an adapter to drag around. iBook G4 with 12" screen will offer you around 6 hours of battery life, which is not possible in any intel platorm. As for the productivity, you have all the applications you need on a mac. If you are into gaming however then Intel should be your choice. Also dont forget last thing you need when writing your paper for the other day is to deal with pop-ups and spyware, which is something you will deal by definition on a windows computer. Durability is another issue, no matter how careful you are you will drop your machine one day. iBooks are pretty sturdy, mine dropped from my lap, cart wheeled on concrete (with the lid open), and besides two scratches it works flawless. The OS advantages are there too, OSX uses less memory than windows, it is more user friendly, networking is a breeze.
Overall your investment will hold its value much longer. Good luck.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2005 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: Definitely MAC

Sorry, there are PC laptops with around 6 hours on battery power. A little more research is all that's needed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?