Cameras forum

General discussion

GOING TO IRAQ, Whats the best / most rugged to buy?

by nick.queen / August 21, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

I'm leaving for a tour of duty to Iraq soon, and I would like to get a durable camera to take with me, that will turn out decent pictures. Any suggestions? Keep in mind it needs to be Marine proof!

Thanks!
Nick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GOING TO IRAQ, Whats the best / most rugged to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GOING TO IRAQ, Whats the best / most rugged to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Camera for Iraq.
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 22, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

Olympus has a line of cameras called "Stylus".

All are dust and water resistant.

Their most rugged Stylus is the Stylus 770.
Water and Dust Proof.
You can even take it underwater. (maximum 30 feet down).
It is also rated to be shockproof.

Here is a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/stylus770.html

We heard from one man who had been to Iraq and he said that the sand in Iraq is not like the sand we see at the beach. Their sand is much finer.....closer to talcum powder.

For that reason, I suggest you select a camera that has an enclosed lens instead of one where the lens extends out.

Collapse -
Agree with Snapshot
by mopscare42 / August 22, 2007 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Camera for Iraq.

The olympus Stylus is a good choice for what you want.
I had a Stylus 600 that my 15 year old grandson took to England, got it soaked, droped it several times and it still worked fine as he brought back some great pictures.
He then went to Hawaii got it wet again, dropped it several more times. dropped it in the sand and about any other place it could be dropped and still took good pictures.
He liked it so well I just gave it to him and he now takes it to his basketball camps.
It is a very durable camera that takes very good pictures.
Wayne

Collapse -
Thanks
by nick.queen / August 22, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Snapshot

Thanks so much for the input. I've just ordered my new 770, and hope it will perform well overseas.

Collapse -
nick.queen?
by taboma / August 22, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Nick, Thank You!!

My son is currently with the USAF. I worry about all our armed forces all the time. Good luck and show us your photos when you return. There is a nice group in Maine that has a special send-off for all the soldiers leaving for Iraq. Hope you meet up with this good group of people. Nick, you will like them.

Nick, All the best to you and your fellow soldiers. God Bless.
If you have access to the internet overseas, please send us a note and to tell us how you are doing from time to time. We would love to hear from you. :

Collapse -
Nick.Queen
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 27, 2007 11:41 AM PDT

Keep your head down over there in Iraq.
That are better places to be, but the Marines have the abilities to match the task.
We are honored to have people like yourself to protect our backside.

If you get the time, post a photo or two on the Digital Camera Forum.

Oh yes.......a tip from a soldier in Afghanistan.
If you take any devices that use AA batteries, bring lots of extra batteries.
Apparently they are sometimes in short supply over there.
And he also said.......have your family send cookies.
Lots of cookies.

Collapse -
Nick.Queen
by hjfok / August 27, 2007 4:51 PM PDT

Thank you Nick for being our hero. All the men and women who station overseas to fight for our country and defend our freedom, along with their families, are all our heroes. Our prayers will be with you and your family, along with all the brave soldiers in Iraq. We hope you'll have a safe return and some awesome photos to show us.

Here is a link to some neat waterproof case and covers that can protect your electronics again dust and rain. http://www.waterproofcases.net/

Collapse -
additional screen/veiwfinder protection: InvisiShield...
by shawnlin / August 26, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

scratchproof and very tough otherwise - similar material is used on the leading edge of helicopter blades for protection...you may have to test whether it's Marine proof:
http://www.shieldzone.com/?gclid=COqJzLzelI4CFRqsOAodFRdBEw

Definitely a good idea on the Olympus 700 SW line of cameras (770, 790, etc.)

Very best wishes,
Shalin

Collapse -
We missed it?
by taboma / August 26, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

We should have had hundreds of good will send-off messages here for this young man, Nick, going to Iraq to protect or dead butts. What is wrong with you all?
What a group. :

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?