Speakeasy forum

General discussion

going green & electric? 2008 tesla roadster

by WOODS-HICK / March 10, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
http://www.teslamotors.com/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/112_0803_2008_tesla_roadster

while waiting in the doctor's office I came across that little gem. maybe it has been mentioned here before.

the distance before a recharge is short but it might not take long to get there. the mag I read was called 'automobile' so I do not know if the following is mentioned in the links above.

a question asked why they chose laptop batteries instead of another designed specifically for the car was answered simply: "that's what we had".

KISS

now if they only start making a minivan.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: going green & electric? 2008 tesla roadster
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: going green & electric? 2008 tesla roadster
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They're supposed to build some here in
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 2:08 PM PDT

New Mexico, but the last report was of some kind of glitch in that plan.

Collapse -
The glitch, according to reports,...
by Paul C / March 10, 2008 7:30 PM PDT

...is that they don't have a transmission that will hold up under the load. Remember: An electric motor produces its greatest torque when starting from rest - quite unlike a gas/diesel motor...

Collapse -
Yep, series-wound has theoretical
by drpruner / March 10, 2008 8:49 PM PDT

infinite torque at zero rpm. I remember being impressed with the streetcars- quiet power.

Collapse -
I don't think so
by JP Bill / March 11, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

$98,000 for a vehicle that will cost 2

Collapse -
but those are USA dollars
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't think so

did you do the 'favorable exchange rate' return in your calculation?

think 'trickle down' (the economic definition). if the 'fat cats' start investing and driving this toy, the technology might end up in your toy-ota.

I am amazed how quick it is. except for the blazing tires it probably as quiet as a light bulb. we tend to associate noise with power regarding 'street-rockets'.

let's see: $18 divided by hat size x coolness + tesla = 'babe-magnet'. *

* probably cop and robber-magnet also

Collapse -
and you can drive it right into the green grocer
by WOODS-HICK / March 11, 2008 1:29 PM PDT

get some free range chicken and toss it on the solar barby.

wonder how it does when it goes past a window fan. blow over? of course you could bolt three together for a family outing.

I see the potential for airport security or workers in those huge factories, etc. more practical than the Segway unless you are in the peoples republic of vermont.

http://wintersport.suite101.com/article.cfm/segways_on_ski_trails

Collapse -
Gasoline is only
by James Denison / March 11, 2008 5:45 PM PDT
1.000 kg of C7H16 requires 3.513 kg of O2 = 15.179 kg of air.

To run on gasoline a car need carry only 6.5% of it's fuel requirement, where as battery run cars must carry 100% of the electrical requirement, which is why battery cars never have and probably never will be able to equal gasoline powered automobiles. I remember carburetors used to be set at 14-15 air to fuel ratios. Yes, most of the fuel burned (over 90%) in a gasoline combustion engine always surrounds the car as "air".

Now, if this was on the moon where there is no air, then you'd have a requirement to carry oxygen in addition to the gasoline in order for the combustion engine to work. That means for each pound of gasoline you'd also need either 15 pounds of compressed air, or 3 pounds of compressed pure oxygen. In those circumstances, especially when the much stronger sunlight than is available on earth and at most locations for half a month constantly aiding use of solar cells for fuel collection, an electric vehicle beats out a combustion engine for economy of use.

I know most look just at the gasoline as containing the "energy" requirement for a vehicle, but you also have to take into account none of that energy is available without the other constituent of combustion which is oxygen and it's the combination of those two which complete the fuel requirement, and about 93% of that completed fuel requirement is freely available.
Collapse -
A clarification:
by Paul C / March 13, 2008 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Gasoline is only

You wrote, I remember carburetors used to be set at 14-15 air to fuel ratios.

In the real world, this is the optimum (engineers call it stoichiometric) air/fuel ratio, based on the fact that the air pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI. The problem is that naturally aspirated (carbureted or fuel injected with no turbocharging or supercharging) engines cannot hold this ratio accurately under heavy loads such as hard acceleration or at altitudes over 2,000 feet above sea level.

This is why a supercharged or turbocharged engine is more efficient under hard acceleration or at higher altitudes; it can be controlled to keep the air/fuel mixture at or very close to the stoichiometric ratio. In addition, when an internal combustion engine runs at an air/fuel ratio that is not stoichiometric, fuel efficiency suffers and emissions increase. Also, running an engine at too lean an air/fuel ratio will damage it over time.

It's no surprise then that the latest generation of highly fuel efficient gasoline engines are often fitted with low pressure turbochargers or superchargers and with direct fuel injection - a system where the gas is injected directly into the combustion chamber (as with all diesel engines) rather than into the intake ports in the manifold.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?