Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Going from SP1 to SP2

by gjkiii / February 1, 2006 11:00 PM PST

What is the best way to upgrade Windows update or download the bigger file from Microsoft and install from the desktop? Thanks for any imput

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Going from SP1 to SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Going from SP1 to SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Didn't matter to me. What does matter is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Going from SP1 to SP2

That your machine has ZERO pests. No spyware whatsoever and if some HP/Toshiba/other that you have their latest drivers prior to SP2. Almost 100% of the SP2 problems I've encountered were due to pest issues. The owners didn't cleanup prior to SP2.

Collapse -
Depends on connection speed
by joe_smith / February 1, 2006 11:51 PM PST

If you've got broadband, the larger file is probably easier to deal with, but if you have dialup, the downloader program might be the better option. It only downloads the parts of SP2 that your system needs. The larger one contains all the pre and post-SP1 updates which you would already have.

The larger file can also be used to create an SP2 slipstreamed install CD, so if you ever have to format, you can start off at SP2 and work from there.

Just do be sure to heed Robert's advice about pests if nothing else, and things should go smoothly.

Collapse -
XP2 on cd
by jc1234 / February 2, 2006 10:50 PM PST

If you cant handle the download you can get the sp2 cd, which is on the couter a pc world, free of course, saves a lot of time downloading if using dial up,and there is so many cheap broadband now dial up

Collapse -
Here are some additional great tips
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 2, 2006 1:47 AM PST
Collapse -
by gjkiii / February 2, 2006 2:18 AM PST

I recently reformated my hard drive and reinstalled by system and put just a few programs on the hard drive. I shouldn't have to do much in the way of prep for this upgrade but it does sound like the safest way to update is to do it from the 266 mg file. Windows update for the sp2 ungrade does concern me a little so I will download the bigger file.

Collapse -
Download the bigger file
by sandeep108 / February 2, 2006 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Yes, you should download the bigger file. You can also ask MS to send you the free SP2 CD. They sent to all users who requested, even to me in India.

This is what I did:
1. Scanned with anti-virus and anti-spyware (even though I knew I was clean).
2. Ran checkdisk / defragmented c:
3. Disconnected from the Internet and LAN.
4. Uninstalled anti-virus (if you do not have Symantec it is fairly easy) and my firewall.
5. Shut down as many running programs as I could.
6. Once sp2 installed, re-installed anti-virus and firewall.
7. Went to windows update.

I have had no problems with several PCs following the above steps.

Collapse -
Back up work
by jc1234 / February 2, 2006 10:55 PM PST

when you are reinstalling sp2 becarefull becuase it might get halfway thought and then say it can not be complte and somthing about error, which then you find some programs now dont work, so it might be better to back up, or if you are reinstalling, reinstall the os then sp2, becuase if you reinstall all your software gain, you might get the error, but it is rare to get it and it has better features, like its pop block, which isnt the best but ok, but dont really on the firewall, try bullguard, it gives you anitvirus,firewall, backup space and email spam.

Collapse -
Update complete
by gjkiii / February 3, 2006 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Back up work

I downloaded the big file. I then ran my anit virus, ad-adware, and spybot in safe mode. I booted back up and shut down any programs that were running and installed the sp 2 update. The update went fine. The only issue I have discovered is in the event viewer with this error message:

Other than that its seem to be running fine.

Collapse -
Older Computers - Install SP2 At Your Own Risk
by john55440 / February 4, 2006 11:55 PM PST

According to HP, SP2 has never been tested on my 2002 computer. It's an ''install at your own risk'' upgrade with unknown consequences. As it is, a patch was needed on this computer for the installation of SP1. For me, the risk of SP2 exceeds it's benefits. Hopefully, this computer will last until 2007, so I can replace it with one that has Vista preinstalled.

Collapse -
HP goofed on that one. No SP2 means more risk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 12:00 AM PST

HP modified XP on their machines and gaffed on SP1 as well as SP2. There are EXPLOITS to unpatched SP2 machines.

It's worth the effort to find your HP patch and catch up.

Collapse -
by sandeep108 / February 5, 2006 1:02 PM PST

Agree definitely. Very much worth the effort.

Collapse -
Next time ......
by CharleyO / February 6, 2006 3:21 AM PST

Next time you buy a new computer, be sure to buy one that is not compromised by incomplete OS software ... make sure you get the complete OS on cd and not hacked (even if legally) by the computer maker.

Collapse -
Is it possible?
by sandeep108 / February 6, 2006 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Next time ......

Really? So I can dictate to Dell/HP/Lenovo/Gateway, etc. when I am buying a new PC? Most of the times they do not give you an OS OEM CD, only a recovery CD.

This is possible only if you build your own PC, or buy a PC from your friendly neighbourhood guy.

Collapse -
You as dictator.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2006 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Is it possible?

You make the rules. When you don't buy it, you just set the rule.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?