Cameras forum

General discussion

Going Digital - from 35mm to digital Help & Advice please

by 2moon / September 24, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

Hi there

I currently have a 35mm Canon EOS 500N, with a canon 28-80mm lens and a
Sigma 70-300 lens.

I am looking for a digital canon slr with which I can use my existing lenses. I've been looking on this site at all the available dslr's but am "lost in translation" as it were.

The new canon EOS 40D which looks amazing, but with the "amazing" price.
There seem to be so many variations of the same models such as the Rebel Xt and XTi.So how on earth do you choose?

I love photography and have been told that my pics are excellent. However, I am not good on the "technical" side, I just have "the good eye".

So I am looking for a great automatatic camera but with the option of using the manual and learning more.

I mainly shoot landscapes, night scenes sunsets etc but also people and sometimes indoors. I do need Image Stabilization.

I would really appreciate advice. Is there a digital version of my EOS 500N ?

Many thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Going Digital - from 35mm to digital Help & Advice please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Going Digital - from 35mm to digital Help & Advice please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to add something....
by 2moon / September 24, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

Additionally, I am wanting to buy a top scanner and printer, which is best partnered with the camera I buy. Am I going about all this in the right way? Buy camera, then scanner..??

Many thanks all.

Collapse -
Regarding Scanners
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

Since you have been using 35mm film, I assume you are planning to scan some 35mm film and/or slides.

For a scanner that can handle 35mm film/slides and full sheet scanning, take a look at the new Epson Perfection V500.

I was checking one out at the store last week.
It has the best setup for holding film/slides that I have seen.
The non-sale price is $250.

Looks like some very nice software comes with the scanner, including a copy of Adobe PhotoShop Elements.

Collapse -
Scanners
by 2moon / September 24, 2007 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Regarding Scanners

Your right

I am an abstract photogapher and want to print digital pics and scan my original prtints from my 35mm.

So I'm looking for high performance scanners and printers.

I have many old old c 1950 prints and recent one that have been bashed about a bit. I've misplaced the hundreds of negatives, but once found, I'd like to have a scanner / printer that takes negatives.

You mentionedan Epsom printer, but wou;d it be more productive to have
all-in-one software.

Also, I'm using a laptop, wireless, bluetooth etc, so remote printing comes into the equation.

I've got the Canon MP780, which I loved with it's 5 seperate ink tanks, but it's too old now and the scanner isnt up to par.

Also, the MP780 is huge huge huge, and I'm looking for something much more compact, half the size of the MP780. I don't need the integrated fax feature.

So looking for top rated scanner and printer Canon as I'm hoping to start my own local photography small business,

Many thanks for your help.

Collapse -
A combination scanner/printer is not what I would call
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Scanners

high performance of either count. It's a jack of all trades.

If you want to be in the business, you will need better equipment.

Collapse -
For printer
by jump1127 / September 24, 2007 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Scanners

I strongly recommend Canon 9000 Pro for the printer. It's really good , especially large print-out like A3 or so. It comes with 8 color ink. I'm using one and really happy for purchasing it. No more photo labs concern ! Canon 40D is also strongly recommended over 400D ( Rebel XTi ). Look like you'll have more trouble on the wide side since you shoot the landscape photography. Canon 10-22mm EF-S is outstanding for the DSLR with multiplier, such as 2-40D and 300-400D.

For Film scanning, Nikon and Canon, so far, provide some good film scanner. Epson is also good on the printer, but not sure over the scanner.

Collapse -
Camera choice
by hjfok / September 24, 2007 7:13 AM PDT

Canon and Nikon build image stabilization to the lens, not the camera body. If you want to keep your current lenses and use them on the new Canon D-SLR, you will not have image stabilization. You will need to buy a new lens with IS.
But if you want to start fresh, then you can decide whether you want to get a camera that has image stabilization built into the camera body, like the Pentax, Sony and Olympus. But you will need new lenses obviously.
As for Canon 40D vs XTi, it depends on your need. The 40D is much faster, preferred if you do a lot of fast action photos. The 40D also has spot metering which XTi lacks. The 40D grip is also more comfortable and ergonomic than the XTi. The XTi feels awkward especially when used with a big lens. But you will need to bring your lenses to a local camera store to try it out yourself. You can also look into the 30D which is a very good camera, with better performance than the XTi. With the introduction of the 40D, you may be able to get a good deal on the 30D. The Canon fall rebate should be some time in mid or late October, and 30D is likely to be on the list. You should wait and see the price drop in the next month or so. Meanwhile, go to a local camera store and try out the models.
Also if you use your current lenses on a D-SLR with smaller sensor like the XTi or 40D, you will not have wide angle (but will gain on the telephoto end). So if you like wide angle for the landscape or group photos, you may still need to get a wide angle lens.
For printers, I personally like Epson but I will let others tell you which one is the best. But with digital imaging, you will benefit from a software that can calibrate your monitor and printer to produce prints that are consistent with what you see on the monitor. One common problem is that what you see on the monitor is not what you get when you print it out. And a lot of times it is because your monitor setting does not match your printer. Software like Spyder2 Express or full/pro versions can take care of the problem easily. Another program called Huey can do the same and can automatically adjust to the ambient environment. This will save you time, paper, money and ink.

Collapse -
Old lens for DSLR Canon...
by Papa Echo / September 24, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

If you buy a DSLR Canon, you will be able to use your old EOS Canon lens and maybe also the Sigma. Note that all of the lower-end or mid-range DSLR Canons have smaller size sensors than 35mm film frames. Your old lens will gain on the tele side, but loses on the wide, e.g. Your Canon 28mm-80mm will become, say, 42-120, and your Sigma will become, say 105mm-450mm, "equivalent" depending on the model of Canon DSRL. Of course, if you purchase a full sensor Canon (the top models with top $$), the sizes of your old lens are as they are.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.