Computer Help forum

General discussion

Going Crazy! PC help much appreciated (RAM)

by mercbenz / April 10, 2005 5:52 PM PDT

December '04 i bought a new pc from someone who builds his own pc's. heres the specs:

Pentium 4- prescott 3.0Ghz Processor w/ HT

1GB pc3200 DDR RAM

Foxconn 661M03-G-6EL MoBo w/ SiS661FX + 963 Chipset

5.1 channel AC97 Audio

ATI Radeon 9600xt 128mb AGP

nexus 400w PSU

after putting in my new ati card i noticed it wasnt performing as well as before with my nvidia card. i asked a friend and he told me to check my ram and i noticed that although both sticks were 512mb pc3200 ddr sdram, they both had different specs. here is the numbers.

Slot 1: freq.= 166mhz, CAS=2.0, RAS to CAS= 3,RAS precharge = 3, Tras = 7

slot 2: 200mhz, 2.5, 3, 3, 8

i was wondering if this is a problem.The chips are made by different manufactuers, they are not matched. i meet or exceed any requierments for all the games i play but have to turn everything to the lowest to get anykind of decent performance. My bios also only gives a overall option to set the latency and timings, it does not offer options for the chips individually. If someone could just chime in to help me out i would be very thankful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Going Crazy! PC help much appreciated (RAM)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Going Crazy! PC help much appreciated (RAM)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The RAM in slot 1 is NOT
by Ray Harinec / April 10, 2005 10:30 PM PDT

PC 3200. It is PC 2700. [166 MHz] Thus both sticks of RAM will then be limited to running at 166 MHz [DDR 333 ]. You cannot run the memory bus at two different frequencies. Only at the speed of the slowest memory.

If you set the latency and timing that may make things worse. What happens if you set BIOS to use SPD? It still won't run faster than the slowest memory, but the timing might be better.

Collapse -
an update
by mercbenz / April 11, 2005 9:10 AM PDT

ok i took out both sticks to examine them today. both are labeled pc3200 ddr400 by the manufacturer, but each stick has a microstar sticker, one says ddr333 and the other ddr266. i aso ran the 3dmark mark test with each stick individually and results were both lower then with both sticks in. i dunno if this is some sort of misprint or mislabel but maybe the info can help further.

Collapse -
I don't know enough about the
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: an update

3D mark test. It may be dependent on the total amount of memory to get better results.

Are you trying to run in Dual Channel mode????

The problem was noticed ONLY after putting the new video card in. All that I can think of is that you had no real demands on the memory speed until you put that card in.

If you paid for two stickks of PC3200. I would take the 166 one back for replacement.

Got a thought that since it is CL2 [CAS] that the builder thought he could somehow overclock it to run at 200 MHz [DDR400]. We was robbed, as the Brooklyn Dodgers used to say. Yes they were in Brooklyn, many years ago. I saw their first game in LA, it was against the Giants.

Collapse -
Holy hades, neither of them is PC3200
by Ray Harinec / April 11, 2005 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: an update

You it it royally. Hope the guy wasn't a friend. You got some from a PC3200 run that didn't pass the acceptance test and got marked for what it will perform at.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?