General discussion

God says sex should be between a married man and a woman,

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: God says sex should be between a married man and a woman,
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: God says sex should be between a married man and a woman,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The first statement might be true

(although I wonder who married Adam and Eve, who certainly had children), the second is from Ed Young, not from God himself.

The wording of your post is somewhat misleading.

Kees

- Collapse -
The wording of your post is somewhat misleading.

I know,

I thought about saying

"and you WILL enjoy it."

- Collapse -
Ed Young probably will.

Hope his wife will do also.

Kees

- Collapse -
(NT) "who married Adam and Eve": See below.
- Collapse -
(NT) sounds like adultery to me ;-)
- Collapse -
The Bibles says you can have more then one wife.

Hmmm, why isn't that adultery? No, no, please skip the religious lecture. Sorry I asked.

One is more then enough. Grin

- Collapse -
From the Marx Brothers...

GROUCHO (to two women): Let's all get married!

WOMAN: But that would be bigamy!

GROUCHO: It would be big o'me too! It would be big o'all of us!

- Collapse -
The 4 Gospels, Groucho, Harpo, Chico, & Zeppo.

Gummo is only included in the Apocrypha.

Rob

- Collapse -
(NT) LOL!
- Collapse -
1 Cor 7:28:

"However, those who do [marry] will have tribulation in their flesh."

- Collapse -
(NT) Adam and Eve were never married.
- Collapse -
Genesis 2

"And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed."

- Collapse -
JP Bill 3

husband and wife

male and female

man and woman

man and wife?

- Collapse -
I think you would need a detailed ...

knowledge of the old Hebrew language and social organisation to get the right interpretation of what's in Genesis originally. This is only a translation.

Kees

- Collapse -
The ceremony isn't the marriage "union"

That part is handled by higher authority. The marriage "ceremony" is the public acknowledgment and validation of that union. It's also a great excuse to have a party. Wink

- Collapse -
great excuse to have a party

Like I need an excuse

Devil

- Collapse -
I mean not married as we use the term in

modern societies: A legal union to clarify matters of property, progeny, and societal organization.

They may have had some quasi-spiritual "union", if you like, but nothing that could possibly considered a legally binding commitment with analogy to a modern construct.

Dan

- Collapse -
Re: marriage

Here in Europe Christian people marry twice. The first time it's a legal marriage (done by a civil servant in the town hall) for the state. That's the required part. The second time in the church (done by a priest or vicar) for God. That's totally voluntary, and generally only done by those who are an (active) member of the church.
Rules on divorce are different for legal marriage (rather easy) and religious marriage (depends on the church, the Roman catholics won't allow it).

I'm sure "marriage" in sense that JP Bill used it in his original post isn't the legal variant, but the religious variant.

Kees

- Collapse -
(NT) What part of Europe is that?
- Collapse -
This is The Netherlands.

My generalization to all of Europe might have been very wrong. But for us here, it's surely the natural way of doing it: a civil marriage AND a church marriage.

Kees

- Collapse -
It's the same in Italy

and, in a sense, the US isn't that much different in principle. It's just that a church ceremony is considered to be an acceptable alternative to a civil one. The objective of government is still achieved as theirs is only to extract a fee for sanctioning the marriage by requiring purchase of a license to get hitched. Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) the original "land down under"
- Collapse -
RE: "land down under"

Please explain...translate

- Collapse -
Just a guess ...
From Wikipedia:
The Netherlands is a geographically low-lying country, with about 27% of its area and 60% of its population located below sea level
- Collapse -
(NT) Thanks
- Collapse -
In addition to what Bill correctly posted....

the country name is Nederland in Dutch. I believe that Neder means "under" or "below" and land means just that, land. I haven't been to the Netherlands for many, many years, but on my trips there I remember I was told about the word Neder.

I don't know why, but when I hear interviews with e.g. Johan Cruyff, the famous soccer player, he always refers to the nation as Holland. However this is just a region of the Netherlands. And a lot of Dutch people do refer to themselves as people from Holland...

- Collapse -
Generalization: If it's a

double-vowel name, it's Dutch.

BTW I saw a pic of a Dutch billboard some years ago, "Keep Holland a Lesbian Nation". Still there?

- Collapse -
The marriage ceremony:

"And Jehovah God proceeded to build the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman and to bring her to the man."

The contract:
"That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he must stick to his wife and they must become one flesh."
"One there is that is lawgiver and judge" (Jas 4:12)

The witnesses:
"When the morning stars joyfully cried out together,
And all the sons of God began shouting in applause" (Job 38:7; at the Creation before Gen 1:2Cool

- Collapse -
Sometimes you stretch words

to the point where their meaning is almost nonexistent.

We can all agree that no reasonable person would call your collected snippets a ceremony.

Dan

- Collapse -
"No reasonable person" :-)

"Ceremony" is a modern word I borrowed (from your post) for what happened. These days the father of the bride walks her down a flower-strewn aisle ("One, two, three, toss!") to an official ("... vested in me by the state of New Mexico"). Afterwards there's a party with cheap champagne in plastic glasses in the church basement room. Most of that comes from men.
The Bible's version cuts to the chase: The flowers (as today) were supplied by the father of the bride, but growing all around, not in vases ("Must be returned for deposit"). The one-and-only Authorized Official read his words: And Jehovah God went on to say: ?It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.? No need for champagne and finger sandwiches, there was tasty stuff growing all around. (Got nectar?)

"No reasonable person." Happy That's a good one, Dan!

CNET Forums

Forum Info