General discussion

Go to College. Learn to ... Pole dance?

As I understand it, 'tuition' is used differently in the UK than in the US. I think 'offering tuition' more-or-less means they are offering small classes:

Cambridge University society offers pole dancing tuition - Yahoo! News
A renowned debating society at Cambridge University said Monday it would offer pole dancing tuition to members, in a building more used to the presence of international statesmen.

The Cambridge Union Society said female students would be offered lessons in the sensuous dance more often associated with strip clubs than the historic chambers of one of the world's top universities.

Can you imagine the 'feedback' a US college would get if it did this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Go to College. Learn to ... Pole dance?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Go to College. Learn to ... Pole dance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Pole Dancing
Pole Fitness?

After the performance, they didn't "make it rain"...they just applauded

Cirque du Soleil has all the same moves.
- Collapse -
re: Cirque du Soleil

I don't think they limit their acrobatics to specific genders,though IIRC the things that required the most flexibility were all done by women.

I admit that some of my reaction is based on the stereotypes around "pole dancing" as opposed to "acrobatics" that happen to involved a pole.

- Collapse -
(NT) Strippers give poles a bad name
- Collapse -
I wonder

if they will do live practises and tests in front of an audience?

Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) Would these be called "recitals"? :-)
- Collapse -
Actually in my daughter's freshman year....

one if he classes featured a segment where they taught pole dancing. I don't remember the context.

- Collapse -
I could imagine this becoming an Olympics event

There certainly is a lot of athleticism involved but some clean-up of the sensuality part could make it legit. I'd suspect it would need to begin as a non-competition sport.

- Collapse -
That might give new meaning to the idea ...

Exhibition event?

CNET Forums