Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Go figure. 1.3 Billion Dollars of stolen Art Treasures found

by Ziks511 / November 5, 2013 2:19 AM PST

in a filthy Munich apartment.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2013/1105/Nazi-art-trove-uncovered-in-a-filthy-Munich-apartment

"Entering the elderly man's home in Munich was described much like walking into a dump. Dirty plates and rotten food littered the floor."

The man was Cornelius Gurlitt, son of late German art collector Hildebrand Gurlitt. His behaviour was such that the police checked his home only to find art works which had never even been catalogued before.

"While by law he was not required to declare the money, the man's activity raised suspicions of tax authorities, who inspected his apartment in February 2012 in an upscale area of Munich. They found 1,400 pieces, in a cupboard and drawers, in conditions that are considered "museum quality." "

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Go figure. 1.3 Billion Dollars of stolen Art Treasures found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Go figure. 1.3 Billion Dollars of stolen Art Treasures found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
so?
by James Denison / November 5, 2013 6:05 AM PST

so what?!

Collapse -
Your comment reveals your utter want of a moral sense, James
by Ziks511 / November 7, 2013 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: so?

despite your professed Christianity and simply stuns me. You don't have a Christian soul James. I, who find the Bible a superb striving for a shared moral guide, containing parts with which I don't agree (but I don't expect 8th Century BC Jewish refugees to necessarily accept certain people as equals, slaves for example or homosexuals or foreigners), I, who left the Church at age 14, have a Christian soul. The Bible is a chronicle of 1000 + years of wrestling with social moral and political issues and I find it inescapable no matter what I do or see or read about or think about.

Christianity infuses how I see the world, of how I see political issues and social issues and moral issues. I cannot separate what I learned very haphazardly in my childhood from what I have seen in the world, and what I see now and how I relate to friends and family and what I conceive my obligations to be.

My wife, raised a Baptist, but not religious at all is utterly lacking in that viewpoint, and doesn't understand my feelings any better than you do. I don't see this as my failing. I see it as her blindness, and yours. I think you should be ashamed of that blindness just as I think she should be ashamed of her blindness and her actions toward myself and toward our son. I feel it is a parent's responsibility to give their children the best start in life possible. Is there a bible verse for that James? I feel it is a parent's responsibility not to squander his inheritance on nothing worth anything at all. Is there a verse for that squandering? How about a verse for the shallowness to be attracted by shiny objects, like a magpie, not a human being.

I don't expect you to join me on the barricades or even to write anything except to deplore this theft and hoarding and private gloating over stolen goods, but to fail to even recognize that there is a moral issue here is frankly shocking to me.

As I understand the story, it is about stolen, looted works of art dating back to the Second World War and deriving from the possessions of Jewish people in Germany before the war (Try learning the term "Objekte" which was the German term for Jewish people who were viewed as Things to be looted of all their wealth and all their possessions, and this long before the deportations began.)

And what of the Treasures of Museums of Nations occupied by the Nazis for 7 years for the aggrandisement of a criminal and profoundly immoral regime. The Treasures of the Museums of Nations are the Treasures of Mankind because Museums are where the paintings and art work are shared with all people who wish to see them.

The goods looted were supposed to be returned where possible after the War to the heirs, if any, of the original owners. It was not supposed to be squirrelled away by some war criminal or hoarder of looted goods and his son. I assume that both those people and their families have been living off the sale of those items, living off the proceeds of stolen property of Nations and individuals and a murdered people for 70 years roughly. The term War Criminal includes those who profited from the looting of individuals whether they survived the war or not, and those who hoarded the art-works of other nations museums.

Countries have been vilified, particularly the Soviet Union for its looting of Museum Treasures which haven't been returned, but then the Soviet Union lost masses of art treasures to the Nazis.

"Thou shalt not steal" should ring a bell for you. So should "Thou shalt not covet."
"Thou shalt not kill." is about what happened to the Objekte after they were stripped of everything.

Perhaps your form of Christianity ignores the teachings of the Old Testament, but I was taught that the whole of the Bible, the Old Testament and the New were parts of the same document, and were equally Holy if not equally Christian. Christianity is an outgrowth of Judaism, not some Partheongenetic creation like Athena bursting from a cyst on the brow of Zeus. It is not a tree without roots.

I'm sorry James. I may have been hard on you previously, but I did have respect for your belief. It turns out that your belief has no depth. You're like a person who has learned all the notes, and has missed the music. I'm not trying to be nasty or mean or belittling. I am very sad right now to have come to this realization.

Rob

Collapse -
blah, blah, blah
by James Denison / November 7, 2013 2:18 AM PST
"While it's unclear how much of this collection was looted,....."

so, looting is just assumed? Seems so. Not a single piece has yet been identified as "stolen". Or do we now just assume ONLY Jews ever had any art in Europe?!

Also he didn't take the art. No indication I've seen that any of it's been identified as looted. The person who originally had the art was an art dealer, so big whoopee, no indication that he himself stole it, if any of it is stolen. Art, at the house of an art dealer, oh my, what a surprise. Why should anyone pay tax on something they haven't sold? Hang a picture on the wall and get taxed on it yearly there?!

It may turn out it's Nazi looted art. Or it may not. Why jump the conclusion on it?

As for all your other personalized blather, you really need to take a break from it.
Collapse -
"Germany authorities today offered further details about the
by Ziks511 / November 8, 2013 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: blah, blah, blah

discovery of some $1.3 billion in paintings by Picasso, Matisse, and others, which were believed stolen by Nazis."

"Among the trash hid some $1.3 billion in missing paintings, prints, and
lithographs - including lost and unknown pieces from 20th century
masters - some of which are believed to have been seized by Nazis ahead of World War II." Note, Lost, meaning they were known to have existed once and to have disappeared, and Unknown, meaning not known to have existed.

"One piece hails from the 16th century." Not "Degenerate Jewish" art then. They're not specific, but I'd think there were other pieces before those Degenerates like Renoir and Manet and Monet and Pisarro and Picasso, and Matisse and Braque and Joao Miro none of whom is Jewish by the way.

"Fast forward to this week: The art world is in a tizzy, and German
officials are on the defense. Why has so much time lapsed between the
discovery of the art and its public disclosure? Where is the man and how
much of the art was legitimately acquired or not and by whom? How was
his collection unknown to the system? " See my post "What is it about the Germans?"

" "When you stand in front of the works, <b>see the ones that were long
thought to have been lost or destroyed</b> and in a relatively good state -
some of them dirty but not damaged - you have an incredible feeling of
happiness," she told the Associated Press." That suggests that the art was known previously and believed, what is the word? Lost. Lost is a dime or a five dollar bill out of your pocket. What this lost means is confiscated, looted, stolen. And not necessarily from a person, but from Museums across Europe. At least the Russians finally acknowledged they had stolen the Schliemann hoard from Troy (except it wasn't from Troy, he bought it from various Turkish vendors of Antiquities and buried it in Troy, and then smuggled it out of Turkey in his wife's clothing. That sneaky Jew! [his wife was Greek Orthodox]) There needs to be an Emoticon for Irony (a bar-bell) or sarcasm (not a clue). And perhaps there should be an Emoticon for Not-A-Clue, too.

"It all started after an elderly man - who German authorities have not named, but several media outlets
including Focus identify as Cornelius Gurlitt, son of late German art
collector Hildebrand Gurlitt - was stopped in a routine check <b>on a train
from Zurich to Munich in 2010</b>." The police then took well over a year to stop by his apartment in February 2012, and we are just hearing about it almost 2 years later.

So the German Government have had questions, but didn't seem to want to pursue them with any diligence since sometime in 2010. Then it took them more than 18 months to reveal what they had found. And just what was it in Zurich, a hot bed of the trade in stolen art, that had Herr Gurlitt on the train with $12,000 in his pocket. I doubt he'd just withdrawn it from his bank, but if he did, what else is in that vault? I don't think it was a buying trip, but I could be wrong, all of this is murky, it seems more likely it was a selling trip, and the 12 Grand was the proceeds.

And the question of looted art has been a hot one for 70 years. Art sold at Auctions and in legitimate transactions is carefully followed not because there's some wild conspiracy chasing Nazi connections, but because art is so easily forged that certified masters are too valuable to just toss around. They're fingerprinted and X-rayed and photographed in every species of light known to man and science in order to establish a provenance and an attribution, so the buyer knows what he's getting. That system has been put in place by the great Auction Houses and the big galleries so that they, the sellers, don't get burned either by passing along a forgery, or by having a forgery sold to them.

You clearly did read the article closely enough to find the solitary minor cavill "it's unclear how much of this collection was looted ..." And yet you passed over every other attribution to Nazi loot of a portion of the collection if not the majority noted above. ""When you stand in front of the works, <b>see the ones that were long
thought to have been lost or destroyed
</b> and in a relatively good state ..." Does that suggest to you that all of this is new? Post-War? Clearly the work was known, and given up for lost. That Ms Hoffman knows the work from descriptions on file or photographs and that the works were believed lost or destroyed doesn't suggest an ordinary legal origin.

You do baffle me, James. Your standard response to anything involving Nazis whether it is Ivan the whoever who was absolutely a guard at Treblinka, one of the extermination camps and not a holiday resort and admited it and lied on his admission to the United States, to your belittling of a story in the Christian Science Monitor (whether you like or believe in CS is neither here nor there, they are acknowledged to be one of the finest newspapers in the US.) leaves me shaking my head.

Is it that you think that a statute of limitations should have been imposed on all that unpleasant Nazi stuff? I might not agree with it, but I might understand it if you had ever made the case for it.
What is it about Nazi-ism and bringing people to trial, or discovering looted goods and wanting to repatriate them or return them or the proceeds from them to the very very few heirs out there that gets up your nose so much?

I grant you that I allowed my own discomfort to raise the issue of the stripping of German Jews of all their possessions, a well known historical fact, prior to the US involvement in the war. The origin of this looted material, how ever much of it there is, is not addressed in the article. There is not a single mention of the word Jew in the article.

You must be orbiting an outer planet over The Righteous Among Nations.

Oh, and I may have left a group or two out of my discussion of those persecuted by the Nazis. Homosexuals, and the disabled. If you're opposed to abortion and I seem to recall you are, where is your outrage or at least compassion for the disabled executed in their tens of thousands? Or is there a Denison Statute of Limitations on that too?

While you're at it this Sunday say a prayer for Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the Lutheran who was exterminated during the last two weeks of the war for his Christian ideals.

Rob

Collapse -
too much
by James Denison / November 7, 2013 2:52 AM PST
despite your professed Christianity and simply stuns me. You don't have a Christian soul
James. I, who find the Bible a superb striving for a shared moral guide, containing parts with
which I don't agree (but I don't expect 8th Century BC Jewish refugees to necessarily accept
certain people as equals, slaves for example or homosexuals or foreigners), I, who left the
Church at age 14, have a Christian soul. The Bible is a chronicle of 1000 + years of wrestling
with social moral and political issues and I find it inescapable no matter what I do or see or
read about or think about.

So, you have judged yourself and me and found yourself to be holier. I'll leave that one up
to God. You remind me of the Pharisee praying in the temple, comparing himself to another who
was there. Of course in your self assigned holiness you openly admit you reject parts of the
Scriptures. God'll love that one for sure. I wonder if God is still wrestling with those social,
moral, and political issues

Christianity infuses how I see the world, of how I see political issues and social issues and
moral issues. I cannot separate what I learned very haphazardly in my childhood from what I have
seen in the world, and what I see now and how I relate to friends and family and what I conceive
my obligations to be. My wife, raised a Baptist, but not religious at all is utterly lacking in that viewpoint, and doesn't understand my feelings any better than you do. I don't see this as my failing. I see it as her blindness, and yours.

Only thou are holy, above all others Oh Great Ziks. All others have you judged and found wanting in comparison to your self glory. No wonder she left you.

I think you should be ashamed of that blindness just as I think she
should be ashamed of her blindness and her actions toward myself and toward our son.

Please, don't try and make me a part of your family.

I feel it is a parent's responsibility to give their children the best start in life possible. Is there a bible verse for that James?

yes. "Fathers, provoke not your children to wrath". Eph 6:4

I feel it is a parent's responsibility not to squander his inheritance on nothing worth anything at all. Is there a verse for that squandering?

I corinthians 12:14 "For neither ought the children to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children."
Proverbs 13:22 "A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children; And the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the righteous."

How about a verse for the shallowness to be attracted by shiny objects, like a magpie, not a human being. I don't expect you to join me on the barricades or even to write anything except to deplore this theft and hoarding and private gloating over stolen goods, but to fail to even recognize that there is a moral issue here is frankly shocking to me.

The only issue here is jumping to conclusions. Also governments do have the right to protect society from "degenerate" things, even art.

As I understand the story, it is about stolen, looted works of art dating back to the Second
World War and deriving from the possessions of Jewish people in Germany before the war (Try
learning the term "Objekte" which was the German term for Jewish people who were viewed as Things
to be looted of all their wealth and all their possessions, and this long before the deportations
began.)
And what of the Treasures of Museums of Nations occupied by the Nazis for 7 years for the
aggrandisement of a criminal and profoundly immoral regime. The Treasures of the Museums of
Nations are the Treasures of Mankind because Museums are where the paintings and art work are
shared with all people who wish to see them.
The goods looted were supposed to be returned where possible after the War to the heirs, if any,
of the original owners.

We don't know if any of that is valid or applicable in this case. It could be these were stolen and slated to be destroyed and the art dealer instead decided to save them from the fire. Considering all the anti-Nazi feelings and trials afterwards, is it surprising they weren't sold nor reported by someone who maybe was scared of being labeled as some sort of war criminal, even though his main interest was in saving art that was destined for the bonfires?

It was not supposed to be squirrelled away by some war criminal or
hoarder of looted goods and his son.

See, all these years later, there you are, right there with the accusation.

I assume that both those people and their families have been
living off the sale of those items, living off the proceeds of stolen property of Nations and
individuals and a murdered people for 70 years roughly. The term War Criminal includes those who
profited from the looting of individuals whether they survived the war or not, and those who
hoarded the art-works of other nations museums.

Again, you have nothing to indicate that. In fact, the person seems to have been living in poverty.

Countries have been vilified, particularly the Soviet Union for its looting of Museum Treasures
which haven't been returned, but then the Soviet Union lost masses of art treasures to the Nazis.
"Thou shalt not steal" should ring a bell for you. So should "Thou shalt not covet."
"Thou shalt not kill." is about what happened to the Objekte after they were stripped of
everything.

"Thou shalt place no idols before me" might be more appropriate. All this crap about art, some obviously degenerate, others maybe questionable, seems to be given greater importance in people's lives than God himself.

Perhaps your form of Christianity ignores the teachings of the Old Testament, but I was taught
that the whole of the Bible, the Old Testament and the New were parts of the same document, and
were equally Holy if not equally Christian. Christianity is an outgrowth of Judaism, not some
Partheongenetic creation like Athena bursting from a cyst on the brow of Zeus. It is not a tree
without roots.

I'm sorry James. I may have been hard on you previously, but I did have respect for your belief.
It turns out that your belief has no depth. You're like a person who has learned all the notes,
and has missed the music. I'm not trying to be nasty or mean or belittling. I am very sad right
now to have come to this realization.

yeah, thanks again, and I'll just kick it upstairs and let Him deal with it.
Collapse -
I'm not holier than anyone. Nor did I say that.
by Ziks511 / November 7, 2013 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: too much

I said that despite not being a Christian I cannot escape having a Christian soul because the teachings made such an impression on me that they infuse everything I do and see and think if not enough of what I say.

You do not seem to possess or be possessed by that same all encompassing sense. Your religion seems to be a part of you, like a leg. You function without reference to it except when you choose to.

That you didn't read sufficiently about the issue to know that the art hoarded there was both items previously unrecognized and items known to have been looted from collections and museums, or that my reference to Objekte was only one tiny part of the 1.3 billion dollar hoard of stolen items from every country and every creed and every ethnic background and Museums across Europe is your failure not mine.

You seem to react to every faint mention of an issue which might relate to Nazi action or Jewish victims as a personal offence. In your world they appear not to be a people of God and the Book but a bunch of annoying whiners who haven't gotten over that enormous and earth shattering (at least for some of us) crime yet. Come on, Shake it off. It was only a couple of million of you and all of your possessions,and the Jehovah's Witnesses, and the Gypsies you are so exercised about, and the Social Democrats and the Communists and staunch Lutherans, and staunch Catholics and their possessions too, though both those religions also managed to coexist with and support the Nazis at the same time.. Get Over It.

And from that attitude and sense of annoyance I see a great emptiness where your sense of understanding and compassion should be. I'm sure you feel I'm being offensive, but it is not intentional. I feel like I have been walking on a road which is very clear to me, and your comment "So What" opened a chasm at my feet on the edge of which I was teetering.

I can't put off my sense that a crime of almost unimaginable proportion happened and that it didn't shake everyone's world equally. I wasn't born during the war. The War had been over for well over a year when I was born, but the crime still reverberates for me. It hasn't always. I was as thoughtless about it as any other kid, though I did begin to sense its scope as a high school kid.

I'm sorry if this seems excessive or glib or whatever it is that you don't like about it, but gradually as I read more, and thought more became more gripped by what seems to me a crime, and action, an occurrence which should have either gripped all mankind and changed it, or destroyed the world completely. I don't say that I think about this continuously, but I do think about this regularly, probably daily if only briefly in passing. I don't visit Holocaust Museums or Memorials. I don't seem to need to. It's always with me. It is not an Obsession, but it is a constant presence, and news stories like that one simply strike the bell once again and leave me shaken.

I am puzzled that other people Don't Get It. I am puzzled that Christians in particular Don't Get It, since it seems to me to be exactly what Christianity is supposed to be about. About being as concerned about other people as one is about oneself. Perhaps it's just that I've never bought the idea of sectarianism. To me the first thing a pointless difference of opinion over an idea does is kill somebody. If the Bible is about anything it is about that, and repeated iterations of that idea, until one should come away with the understanding that that isn't what being righteous is truly about.

I'm getting way out of my depth at the moment, so I'll stop, but my personal journey will continue. If I get somewhere, I'll let you know.

Rob

Collapse -
It's simple for me Ziks
by James Denison / November 7, 2013 9:21 AM PST

I don't put things ahead of people. All this stuff about things, whether art, jewels, gold, silver, is nothing compared to the lives lost. Those lives are gone from this world forever. All the treasure won't bring them back. Chasing down every last pfennig, piece of gold, painted canvas, etc with special groups devoted to it like some sort of holy cause I feel devalues the lives of those who died. Things don't mean that much to me, I'm sort of Spartan when it comes to "things".

My mother was a hoarder, not of junk, but good things, many of which I still must sell aka "get rid of" even 10 years after her death. She called them "memory things", but all of them had an over significance to her, bordering on idolatry far as I was concerned.

One of my favorite places is Salvation Army and Goodwill, where we constantly try to keep "things" reduced, so others who want it can have it instead. Oddly, just this past week I tried to get rid of a perfectly working 20" TV that looked almost new, but even Goodwill wouldn't take it since it's a CRT type. I have no need of it, but can't quite bring myself to toss a perfectly good TV, which with cablebox or TV convertor works. I don't know anyone poor enough to need it. Goodwill should be the go between for that. Value Thrift City near Baltimore is my next chance to donate come Sunday when I'm up that way, after church service.

The more things you have, the more things you have to care for, clean, fix, etc. For me, once it's lost it's utility or I have more of something than I need or want, I'm ready to see it go.

So, people fighting over, obtaining and clinging to useless crap is ridiculous to me.

If I was Jewish and had survived that war and lost many family members, my desire would be for pictures of family that maybe had been lost and then found more than anything else. If some of them had done the art, then I'd be interested in those pieces. Spending my life chasing down every last household item or piece of painted canvas that hung on a wall wouldn't mean much to me.

I don't see that any of what has continued for decades AFTER that war and AFTER almost all involved in it are dead or dying, accomplishes anything other than creating new greivances and ressurections of old ones.

I personally don't care who gets all the gold, the paintings, or whatever someone says was looted 70+ years ago, but I do know I get tired of hearing about it and I don't see it does anyone any good appearing as if they are fighting over scraps from a long ago war, like dogs over old bones.

Collapse -
Well, possessions of the person have an importance when
by Ziks511 / November 8, 2013 6:21 AM PST

photographs or other memorabilia are gone, as they are for the vast majority. But that's not really what it's about for me. It isn't about things much though you want it to be. It's about the people lost, and art is the common heritage of everyone. I don't mind that it may pass through a dozen hands or more, just that it eventually is made available even if only in photographs to the rest of us.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions this is an awfully big one "Spending my life chasing down every last household item or piece of painted canvas that hung on a wall wouldn't mean much to me."

Nowhere did I refer in any way to that. Nor did I think it. Nor do I know if it is true. That's entirely your construction upon what you believe people's motives are. Clearly you have an issue with people for whom those things may be important, or may merely be an affectation, but that's your issue, not mine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10434533/British-doctor-believes-familys-missing-masterpieces-among-Nazi-art-trove.html and the doctor lives in California.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/03/nazis-looted-modernist-masterpieces-germany-police

I lost a previous reply, you'll be relieved to hear, which chased down more explicit identification of the items and their origins in Nazi looting which is clear and unequivocal.

http://world.time.com/2013/11/06/previously-unknown-works-from-the-nazi-looted-art-trove/

"late German art collector Hildebrand Gurlitt was a major dealer in looted art for the Nazis."

http://www.focus.de/kultur/kunst/nazi-raubkunst-meisterwerke-zwischen-muell-fahnder-entdecken-kunstschatz-in-milliardenhoehe_aid_1147066.html
"Cornelius Gurlitt jedenfalls verdankt sein jahrzehntelanges Gluck der Luge seiner Mutter. "Ich kann Ihnen nur mitteilen, dass alle Geschaftsunterlagen und Bestande unserer Firma am 13. Februar 1945 - bei dem Grossangriff auf Dresden ..., - verbrannt sind", teilte diese 1967 dem Berliner Wiedergutmachungsamt mit.

[ Approximately: Cornelius Gurlitt's good fortune was thanks to his Mother's lie to the German authorities in 1967 that all the art work and paintings from the family's business were burnt in the attack on Dresden, 13 Feb. 1945.] She said this despite the family living in Munich and carrying on its business there. Berliner Wiedergutmachungsamt, The Berlin Restoration Bureau i.e. restoring art or other things to its previous owners or their heirs.
Interesting instance of someone blaming the Allies for something so they could hoard and then dispose of the proceeds of criminal activity.

You see people fighting over the spoils, where no indication of that exists in any source I've seen as of 8 November. I'd say that's on you. Just as you pointed a similar issue out to me. I understand your feelings, but you're projecting them onto a story without any hint of that yet.

Rob

Collapse -
I love it when someone tries to place a value on such things
by Steven Haninger / November 7, 2013 5:41 PM PST

as that value is generally what some worldly persons would pay to either have them for themselves or to give them up.

Collapse -
You are very fortunate to be so unworldly, The point to me
by Ziks511 / November 8, 2013 8:11 AM PST

wasn't the money, it was the 1500 works of art believed destroyed. To me art, music, architecture, books are all part of our cultural heritage and to be cherished as such.

The interesting thing to me is that if this person Cornelius Gurlitt had come clean 10 years ago, and said. "This is what my father hid away, and I want to return it", he'd be the hero of the story, which is part of the reason I wrote "Go figure" (this one out) at the beginning of the story.

Damn, a Canaletto and an Albrecht Durer, and who knows what else including the modern stuff (which isn't to be contemptuous of modern art, it's just a way of distancing the impact of all this).

Rob

Collapse -
Okay, I admit that I am completely possessed by this story.
by Ziks511 / November 10, 2013 3:52 AM PST
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10437728/Cracking-the-case-of-the-Nazis-stolen-art.html (And I've complained about the Daily Telegraph as a Conservative rag, when others have used it as a source for political stories. This isn't political in my opinion. I don't know why they chose Otto Dix, who is an artist who really challenges and frankly repels the viewer when there are lots better artists to choose from.)

"'During a war", Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering informed his interrogators at Nuremberg, "everybody loots a little bit." It was a statement so preposterously self-serving as to be darkly comic. Goering had profited from perhaps the greatest organised art theft in modern history, one that continued for years and was supervised by an agency of the German state, and removed colossal quantities of paintings, sculptures and other items from occupied Europe (26,000 railway wagons of it from France alone). Yet more was snatched from museums and collections in Germany itself. "

I know of no other combattant who set up a Government Department for organized Looting. Ever see The Train, with Burt Lancaster?

"This Aladdin's cave of art was found last year in the flat of Cornelius Gurlitt, the son of an art dealer, Hildebrand Gurlitt, who assisted Josef Goebbels in selling off work seized as "degenerate" from collectors, dealers and museums."

I don't know if you know that the display called Entarte Kunst held in Berlin of confiscated art before the war attracted the largest number of visitors of any exhibit up to that point world wide, and probably up to the Tutankhamun show in the 80's

Rob
Collapse -
Another Telegraph article about Germany's difficulty
by Ziks511 / November 10, 2013 4:32 AM PST

acknowledging and returning stolen art.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/10425983/Nazi-art-does-Germany-have-a-problem-returning-art-stolen-by-the-Nazis.html

" If the way in which this hoard was discovered is extraordinary - Cornelius Gurlitt, son of the prominent Munich art dealer Hildebrand Gurlitt, was apprehended by chance in a clampdown on tax-evaders - even more bizarre is the way the Bavarian authorities have held on to the information over the two and a half years since the works were first found. "

In another story I read, following the death of a 90 something German, his bank vault was found to contain 3 long lost Old Masters. Strangely, 14 others were taken out of the vault just days before his death and are still hidden.

"You have to wonder what is behind the extreme reluctance to provide
information," says Anne Webber, of the London-based Commission for Looted
Art in Europe. "We have reminded the Bavarian authorities of the need for
transparency and requested a full list of the works. So far we have had no
response.

"Germany was a signatory to the Washington Principles in 1998 and 1999, along
with 44 other countries, making a commitment to identifying the looted works
in their collections and publishing the results. Bavarian state collections
contain thousands of works acquired during the Nazi period, but they have
failed to publish any list. An annotated catalogue of one of the main
dealers of the Nazi era was discovered, saying which families the works were
taken from and their eventual owners. This would be fantastically useful to
the families concerned who are hoping to create a link with their past. This
also hasn't been published."

To hell with Iran, Mr Cheney, invade Germany and get back the art they stole from everybody 70 years ago. At least that would be an action less likely to be seen as pure American opportunism in an Oil Rich country. (Don't blame me, that's how the US is seen world-wide. It's the price of being on top.)

"Munich, though it was an avant garde
stronghold early in the century - home to Klee and Kandinsky - provided the
platform for Hitler's rise to power. You don't have to dig too far below the
surface in this part of Germany to encounter an attitude of "what more do
these Jews want from us"" Except it isn't the Jews who are outraged about this, it's everybody else, SE possibly excepted. (Hey, I'm just going by the responses. So? So what.)

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?