PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Go 6150, Vista, and Gaming

by PsionicArchon / July 17, 2007 2:41 AM PDT

I am not sure exactly where this post belongs because the problem could be either with the drivers, the card its self, or the operating system and its compatibility issues however the topic of concern is to me the graphics card so i figured I'd put my post in the hardware section.

I know it's an intergraded card and supposedly all intergraded cards are horrible for gaming. I find this to be far from true so before you jump on me for that consider the following.

My old laptop which was a dv8000 an older model of my current laptop a dv9000. It's specs are as follows

Graphics- Ati readon 200m
Processor- AMD Turion 64 at 1.8 ghz
Ram- 1024 megs

Not much but gaming centers mostly around these components. Now on this machine I had no problem playing anything short of Oblivion. Half Life 2 would run perfectly smoothly with every setting maxed. Doom 3 could be played comfortably on High Quality on the second to highest resolution. From World of Warcraft to Guild Wars I never had a problem aside from a slightly sluggish frame rate occasionally in wow.

My friends laptop sporting an intel 950 graphics accelerator 2 gigs of ram and a centreno duo operating at 1.8 ghz per core also is able to easily out preform my current laptop easily though it is unable to access many of the features that mine can like pixel shader effects and anisotropic filtering however with all the settings maxed it can outperform me in some of my favorite older games such as World of Warcraft and Kotor, even in Ut2004 I notice higher frame rates.

Now my current specs are as follows
Graphics- go 6150
Processor- AMD TurionX2 operating at 2.2 ghz per core
ram-2048 gigs

I find it difficult to believe that an intel graphics card could mop the floor with an Nvidia card which is one of my reasons for making this post. I also had systemrequiermentslab.com scan both my friend and my laptop while I was able to easily meet the requirements of most games he was unable to yet I am the one with the barrage of praformence issues. Now three on my list of reasons for making this post was my tampering with what could possibly be causing these preformed drops, before I changed my drivers from the most recent ones released by hp its self I could not play kotor at all it would not start and the preformed in World of Warcraft was so horrible even the audio was choppy. I used a website offering tweaked drivers being that none of Nvidia's forceware drivers seem to support the go 6150 for some strange reason.

upon installing these older drivers the preformence in just about every game went up substantially. I can comfortably play World of Warcraft, for the most part. And Kotor will run not without low framerates however. Quake 4 will also run now still unsmoothly. I figured this is a high power game I had better try turning the settings down this only decreased the frame rates further. I decided just to see what would happen to turn the game up to ultra quality surprisingly my frame rates increased... now that strikes me as strange usually a game runs worse on higher settings and better when you turn the settings down.

I apologize in advance for the long post however I have searched tirelessly for a solution or answer to the problem including comparing benchmarks from my card to the 200m and the 950 and with many points to spare the go 6150 appears to outperform both cards easily. Is this actually an illusion? is the newer go 6150 really worse then an intel card? or does my problem lye elsewhere? Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Go 6150, Vista, and Gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Go 6150, Vista, and Gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I believe it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

You are comparing the bottom of the barrel 6150 to other chipsets and rediscovering a bitter lesson. This is not a gamer's laptop. It can run more games than the 950 GMA but that's where the advantages end.

If you want a gamer's laptop you need to shop for such.

Bob

Collapse -
I understand its not a gamers laptop
by PsionicArchon / July 17, 2007 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I believe it.

Bashing these laptops is not helping me solve any of my problems I already know they are not gaming laptops I am currently investing in a dule sli 8950 laptop however in the mean time I'd like some answers here. Out of the three cards the 200m the intel 950 and the newer go 6150 which according to the benchmarks is the better card. Now for bottom of the barrel cards the 200m and the 950 play games rather well.

Did I mention that with a Readon 200m I can play Doom 3 on high quality with 1440 by 900 as the resolution. You said that the 6150 is better then the 950 which confirms my confusion. Why is it our preforming my current card? An older and worse card outperforming a newer better card... why?

Collapse -
I've had such a discussion before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

The member wanted a "solution" to fix the 6150 laptop.

Let's cut to the bottom line. You need to get a better system.

My view as to why the 6150 is better than the 950 is based on games that don't even start on that GMA solution. However you have found that it can outperform the 6150 which is also not surprising.

You've also broken another gamer's rule. Vista.

Bob

Collapse -
drivers and yes I am getting a better system.
by PsionicArchon / July 17, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

The system I have now was given to me do to some trouble I had with my older system by hp. Generous offer. This was all started by a website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest. I thank you for your input and believe in my search I've found a solution or cause of my problem. Yes this card is apparently a bad choice for gaming as are all inter graded cards at least for current gaming. I did some messing around with drivers and found that the 7.15.11.5816 vista drivers which were not designed for my card work better then the manufacturers.

The problem is obviously the force ware drivers and pure lack of support even by nvidia for the go 6150. With this final set of drivers I have been able to actually enjoy many of my games. I wish Nvidia would release some form of a patch or a set of drivers designed for the go cards that functions with vista. I didnt mean to waste anyones time thanks again for the help.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 12:37 AM PDT

Yes their is someone out there HACKING the Nvidia drivers to allow one to load them on laptops but the performance is still below a desktop with the fx6200 board.

All we can do is what you did as well as drop the resolution and effects to get the speed back up.

I don't feel anyone is wasting time on this issue. The more people post about it the better it is since real world benchmarks and owner posted feeling help people avoid this chipset if they are a gamer.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?