General discussion

Gmail introduces 5-second rule to "unsend" e-mail - rejoice!

Gmail introduces 5-second rule to "unsend" e-mail - rejoice!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/25/gmail.labs.email/index.html
excerpt:
"I forget to attach a file, or e-mail the birthday girl that I can't make her surprise party. I can rush to close my browser or unplug the Internet -- but Gmail almost always wins that race."
Leggett added that he's had "Undo Send" turned on for a while "and it's saved me several times."
[...]
"Someone joked that it would be a great feature of Gmail to keep you from checking e-mail," Davidson said.
So he created a program that locks people out of their Gmail accounts for a set period of time. After spending two afternoons coding it, Davidson launched the "E-mail Addict" feature, which forces users to take a break from e-mailing by blocking Gmail for 15 minutes.

This may cause a wave of hesitation-habits, but at least the option is there Happy And...why did it take this long to get the "5-second rule undo-send" feature?

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Gmail introduces 5-second rule to "unsend" e-mail - rejoice!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gmail introduces 5-second rule to "unsend" e-mail - rejoice!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Awesome stuff!

Awesome, awesome stuff!!!

- Collapse -

If this feature becomes popular, do you think Google will just add an Outbox to Gmail? It does essentially the same thing. And you could configure it for more than 5 seconds. Or even instant if you wanted.

CNET Forums