Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Girl, 10, Arrested

by caktus / December 19, 2007 5:00 AM PST

Elementary School Student Arrested for Having Steak Knife

BY Steve Gehlbach
FOX 35 NEWS

An Ocala Elementary student took a steak knife to school in her lunch and instead of a suspension, her family says she got a ride in the back of patrol car.

The 10 year old now faces felony weapons charges.

According to a report from the Marion County Sheriff's Office, students sitting next to the girl at lunch last Thursday say she didn't threaten anyone with the knife; she just used it to cut up her steak.

A teacher spotted the knife with a 4 and a half inch blade at lunch in the Sunrise Elementary School cafeteria.

School administrators then called deputies to report a weapon on campus.

When deputies couldn't reach her parents, she was taken to a Juvenile Assessment Center.

The girl's uncle, Kenneth Thomas, who was called to the school instead, says the 10 year old had to ride in the back of a patrol car.

Captain Jimmy Pogue of the Marion County Sheriff's office says they didn't treat her like a criminal.

"I don't want people to feel like we're arresting 10 year olds, handcuffing them, and hauling them off in a back of a patrol car and taking them to jail," Pogue said. "That's not the circumstance."

Pogue says the report will be turned over to the State Attorney's office and they will decide if to follow up with the weapon's charge.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5247577&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Let's see now. "Student Arrested"

"had to ride in the back of a patrol car."

"The 10 year old now faces felony weapons charges."

And "County Sheriff's office says they didn't treat her like a criminal"? Well then, just what the hell do they think the did?

If this goes to court I hope the judge throwes the prosecution out on it's @** and orders them not to be seen acting stupid in the vacinity ever again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Girl, 10, Arrested
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Girl, 10, Arrested
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A sad state of affairs we live in now
by Steven Haninger / December 19, 2007 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Girl, 10, Arrested

but don't blame the cops. This is probably just written SOP...no exceptions. Perhaps long ago it was permissible for a police officer to sit a youngster on his knee and give him/her a good talking to in a fatherly way and all would be better for everyone. Imagine if a cop tried that today. Sad

Collapse -
The school was in the same situation
by dirtyrich / December 19, 2007 6:20 AM PST

The principal and teachers were forced to do as they did by policy. In the end the blame for this lies with the school board for establishing the policy.

Collapse -
I can't blame the school board either
by Steven Haninger / December 19, 2007 6:35 AM PST

It's the CYA "The lawyers are coming!..the lawyers are coming!" scare driven mentality that creates this monster. Sad

Collapse -
Sadly the other side, albeit a bit older child
by Roger NC / December 19, 2007 7:10 AM PST
Collapse -
All valid points in today's world.
by caktus / December 19, 2007 9:01 AM PST

But I figure this was clearly a case where the school authority and the parents shoulda, coulda, woulda cleared up the matter fast and easy had they simply communicated with one another. Nowaday's they are all too concerned with unions and baby sitters to give a damn about the children they're supposed to raising and educating. And the Sheriffs department may as well be trying to convince everyone that the sky isn't blue.

If anyone here is guilty of sending the child to school with contriband it's the Parents.

Maybe just my rant. But I'm right and the world's wrong. Devil

Collapse -
You want to
by Dan McC / December 19, 2007 10:49 AM PST

blame the parents for the actions of the child???

That's kinda refreshing, actually.

Dan

Collapse -
You are 100% correct
by gearup / December 19, 2007 10:53 AM PST

where indeed are the parents? Watching the Spears girls instead of their own children?

Collapse -
When I think of the murders committed by...
by Angeline Booher / December 19, 2007 9:05 PM PST

....... children in my city, it seems the age of childish innocence has passed.

I can see how the schools are between a rock and a hard place. No longer are they seats of education as intended. Too many other roles have been thrust upon them, including parental. The one role that remains shaky is discipline, which remains open to lawsuits.

I'm sure the police didn't beat her with rubber hoses.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
(NT)?
by C1ay / December 19, 2007 9:27 PM PST

Did you place the (NT) in your subject line or is there a bug to report?

Collapse -
happens all the time
by jonah jones / December 19, 2007 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: (NT)?

i guess

Collapse -
(NT) Glitch. :-(
by Angeline Booher / December 19, 2007 11:28 PM PST
Collapse -
(NNT) (not no topic):
by drpruner / December 20, 2007 1:33 AM PST

Type your subject line; hit Enter vice Tab; (NT) message is posted. Alt-back; finish post; Submit. The (NT) remains per the s/w.

Collapse -
Relevant info (but not a solution):
by drpruner / December 20, 2007 1:44 AM PST

A recent FBI report, which I now wish I had copied, said that the weapon of choice in the US where there are injuries or deaths in schools, is the knife. More than 2 to 1 over the gun.

In our schools, any weapon is cause for immediate suspension; the Admin has the option of calling for a police car. Just recently our District acquired a full-time officer for the schools. When there's a problem they call his cell instead of 911. I'm guessing he gets used for transportation in such cases. Did I mention that half the kids are bigger than I am? Happy

'She used it to cut her meat, then at recess she cut the girls who were bullying her ...' Do we know there wasn't such a situation brewing? Similar happens all the time.

Oh, wait, there is a solution:
(Psalm 37:28-29) For Jehovah is a lover of justice, And he will not leave his loyal ones. To time indefinite they will certainly be guarded; But as for the offspring of the wicked ones, they will indeed be cut off. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.
(Ephesians 6:4) And YOU, fathers, do not be irritating YOUR children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah.

Collapse -
a common thread in these incidents is
by WOODS-HICK / December 20, 2007 8:31 AM PST

where are the parents?

no parents reached. then the default procedure runs. little johnny or janey goes to jail.

I am sure the suspension will stick as a warning to others. no charges will be filed. exception being if parents or guardian are charged for some reason.

of course if older brother johnny wanted to get a weapon into school who better than an innocent younger sister to bring it in.

the things one has to think of when you send them off to school.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!