Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Gimpel3D 2D/3D Stereo Conversion software is now opensource.

by ReneGimpel / November 21, 2013 6:36 AM PST

Hi-

I just opensourced my 2d/3d stereo conversion research, it's one of the few software products listed on wiki under the actual topic of 2d/3d conversion (I didn't put it there myself), so it has some relevance to the field..

I'm not marketing myself or making any big announcements, I just want to pass on the news to anyone that may be interested..

www.Gimpel3D.com

Thanks
-Rene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gimpel3D 2D/3D Stereo Conversion software is now opensource.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gimpel3D 2D/3D Stereo Conversion software is now opensource.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gimpel3D, not GIMP
by ReneGimpel / November 21, 2013 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: So, SourceForge?

Hi-

The family name name is unfortunate and coincidental Happy I have nothing at all to do with GIMP the image editor (at least it's not Bolton)..

My app isn't infected in any way, and the source code is now freely available...it's more of a projective modeling application than traditional stereo converter, this video should clarify what it does (more or less)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7DkAw1hxyI

It's referenced on wiki (and I've attracted some misc. attention over the years) but I've pretty much kept to myself about it...I'll clean up and document the code better in the near future so that others can mess with it..

Thanks
-Rene

Collapse -
My comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2013 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Gimpel3D, not GIMP

Was geared more towards the issue that SourceForge seems to be taking to the dark side. Your SourceForge download appears to be clean.

And small world. One of my apps was updated last week and is some Win/WinMo thing in VS2008.

I hate to write this but VS2008 seems to be the last of the great Visual Studio versions. I didn't think much when we ordered VS2010 but was shocked as our WinMo app was not supported there!
Bob

Collapse -
IDEs gone by..
by ReneGimpel / November 21, 2013 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: My comment

I was a huge fan of VS6 for years (simple tools are fine when you write code from scratch), I finally had to let it go a few years ago because all clients use VS2005>VS2012...

Ironically, when I built the freeware release I wanted to be sure it was as compatible as possible so I ported to VS2005 (from VS6), and that compiler introduced a security bug that requires a special patch from MS (the error is referenced on the main page, I should have just stuck with VS6 on that one)..

I wasn't aware of the sourceforge issues (I'm fairly reclusive and don't poke my head up much), I appreciate the info, that definitely impacts my plans...I wasn't likely to use their code and project management tools anyway, there's no wide collaboration right now so no need for it..

Feel free to hit me up with any tech questions about how it works, I'm always glad to discuss the code and processes..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?