Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

gigabit ethernet

I have a Gateway GT5622 and I am planning on setting up a home network and using the desktop as a file server/media streamer. I have a realtek ethernet attached to the motherboard. According to the specs on the Gateway website and on the specs for my motherboard it is 10/100, but in my device manager it says gigabit. How can I tell if I have gigabit or not? Would a PCI networking card give me better network performance?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gigabit ethernet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gigabit ethernet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends

In reply to: gigabit ethernet

Do you have a Gigabit router?
Is your network going to be all wired with all computers having Gigabit NIC cards and using cat5e or cat6 wire to network them.
If the answer to the above is yes,then there will be a improvement over the 10/100 setup.
The Gateway website shows your computer as having 10/100, but the PCI Gagabit cards are pretty cheap and easy to install.

Collapse -
yes to gigabit

In reply to: Depends

Everything is going to be wired with a gigabit router. The reason I'm not sure about the computer is that even though the motherboard says it only supports 10/100, in the device manager it says I have "Realtek RTL8168B/8111B family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)". I know that it is built on to the motherboard.

Collapse -
10/100

In reply to: yes to gigabit

Just checked my sons HP computer that I know is 10/100 and it too shows Gigabit in the device manager.
I can go into control panel-network-show status and it shows 100.
I can do the same on my Dell that I know is Gigabit all the way through and it shows 1.0Gbps.
As I said on my previous post, PCI 10/100/1000 NIC cards are pretty cheap and are almost plug and play. I would definitely go that route because you will know everything is Gigabit and no gray areas.
I believe I paid $22.00 or $23.00 for the last one I bought at Staples.
You can actually get them cheaper online, but have to worry about the shipping cost as well as the time.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: 10/100

I just checked the network status and it also shows up 100. That's what I wanted to know.

Collapse -
Your welcome

In reply to: Thanks!

Glad your question has been answered and thanks for posting back.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.