HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Gigabit Cable Modems

by h8w8_dotmac / August 5, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

I need an understanding, please.
My computers are gigabit endowed. My wireless router is gigabit endowed. But the cable modem that precedes all is not. From the street, to the modem, then to everything else. How do I keep a gigabit flow going if I can't find a gigabit modem?

jp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gigabit Cable Modems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gigabit Cable Modems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You might be able to do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Gigabit Cable Modems
Collapse -
Gigabit Modem
by h8w8_dotmac / August 5, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

OC-48? You are not explaining anything. Could you? I can't find anyone who makes a gigabit modem, but everything up-stream, from the modem is, like the router and my computer all are gigabit. Does not having a gigabit modem mean that the gigabit connections on all the up-stream equipment are useless?

Collapse -
I gave you all you needed know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Gigabit Modem

There are such things as an OC-48 modem. Now the question is simple. Will you pay for that and the connection?

Collapse -
Gigabit Modems
by h8w8_dotmac / August 5, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

Yes, but am I correct in knowing that without a gigabit modem, everything up-stream is not running in gigabit mode?

Collapse -
All defined in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Gigabit Modems

I can only guess that you are not doing any ancillary reading. Your questions are fine but until you catch up with how the internet is built, what levels (and subsequent speeds) there are then it all may be unuseful to carry on this conversation. Today, now, in some cities you can get higher speeds for a price.

Collapse -
gigabit Modems
by h8w8_dotmac / August 5, 2009 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: All defined in

Is it impossible for you to just simply answer my question? Yes or no is all I'm looking for.

Do I need a gigabit cable modem before anything else hooked up after it can use the gigabit standard?
Yes or no?

Collapse -
That's a NEW question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: gigabit Modems

Your first question was:
"How do I keep a gigabit flow going if I can't find a gigabit modem?"

To which I was helping you find out that there is such a thing.

Your NEW question appears to differ. Here it is:
"Do I need a gigabit cable modem before anything else hooked up after it can use the gigabit standard?"

That's easier and much cheaper. The answer is no. The cable modem would go to your gigabit capable router and gigabit capable switched hub and you get gigabit networking on your gigabit LAN.

Sorry but I can't guess that you really had a different question. Some want gigabit internet connections.
Bob

Collapse -
First . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 5, 2009 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Gigabit Cable Modems

Gigabit speed with available providers is nonexistent. If you want Gigabit speed you must purchase and install a fiber optic backbone running at OC-48 speed or greater (I'll let you Google OC-48). Bring lots of money. Then bring more money. Then more money for the termination.

Gigabit routers are supposed to provide Gigabit speed across a home or corporate network. It'll never happen. Gb speeds are theoretical and will never happen in the real world. By the same token a 10/100 home network will never run at 100 Mb/s. By the same token a 100 Gig hard drive will never hold 100 Mb of "available" data.

It's a digital thing.

Collapse -
availble data???
by cnetblue / September 10, 2009 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: First . . .

Coryphaeus,

did you mean a 100 Gig HD will never hold 100 MB of availble data or did you really mean to say a 100 Gig of availble data?

Collapse -
Not Quite
by LAJA21 / October 26, 2009 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: First . . .

"Gigabit routers are supposed to provide Gigabit speed across a home or corporate network. It'll never happen. Gb speeds are theoretical and will never happen in the real world"

sooo... no offense but, is this in the same world that was at 28.8kbps dial-up around 1995, 56kbps around 1997, and now on average around 5mbps using current available broadband options?
Not to mention that is in the US, which is noted to be in the top 29 "worst" broadband speed countries? While at the same time japanese citizens enjoy their 160mbps home connections.

People might have said that was impossible in 1993.

The point is, it's incredibly narrow-minded and naive to think that it will "never happen". Maybe due to digital mathematics it won't happen on a "Gigabit" standard but it will happen none the less, even if it's on a Tb connection. Then again the way Apple recently changed their formatting of their file structures to accurately represent the available space (a 160GB HDD now reads around 159.99GB under Snow Leopard, as opposed to the former approx 142GB).

Just keep in mind technology has not plateaued and we will continue to make monumental strides within the industry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.