Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Gibbs blows his top...

by EdHannigan / November 8, 2010 6:45 AM PST
Making friends all over the world.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101108/pl_yblog_upshot/gibbs-threatens-to-pull-obama-after-press-dispute

The Washington Post's Scott Wilson?who was on White House pool duty Monday and filed the report for the White House press corps?wrote that "Gibbs announced loudly and persistently on steps of Hyderabad House that he would pull" President Obama out of the meeting "unless 'the White House 8,' as we've come to be known, were all allowed in."

As the discussion continued, Gibbs grew more animated.

"At one point, Gibbs literally had his foot lodged in the closing front door, asking if the Indian security officials pushing hard to shut it were going to break his foot," Wilson continued. "More angry words ensued, and after Gibbs convinced them, through high volume and repetition, that he was serious" about pulling Obama, the press secretary had the security retinue's full attention.

What, is he in charge of foreign policy now?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gibbs blows his top...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gibbs blows his top...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You left out the most important part
by JP Bill / November 8, 2010 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Gibbs blows his top...

Gibbs' intervention worked: The Indian officials eventually allowed the full American press delegation into the event

Collapse -
Good for him
by James Denison / November 8, 2010 2:15 PM PST

About time he did something I could approve of.

Collapse -
You approve of bullying?
by EdHannigan / November 8, 2010 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: Good for him

Not very petty. A disgrace in fact.

A flunky determines who discusses things with the President?

Collapse -
A flunky determines who discusses things with the President?
by JP Bill / November 8, 2010 8:58 PM PST

A flunky from America determines who discusses things with the President?

as opposed to

a flunky from India determines who discusses things with the President?

Collapse -
We KNOW Gibbs is a flunky ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 8, 2010 10:58 PM PST

can you offer PROOF that the "Indian Officials" who had initially changed the limit from 8 to 5 were "flunkies" as opposed to Officials designated with the task of setting the meeting?

If you can't offer PROOF why even comment other than to instigate?

Just an obesevation, in the picture Gibbs could easily be mistaken for the south end of a flatulent donkey someone had dressed in a suit.

Collapse -
Officials designated with the task of setting the meeting?
by JP Bill / November 8, 2010 11:14 PM PST

And here I thought it was about how many photographers would get in the room to take pictures.

It could just as easily have been the Fire Marshall determining the number of people that were allowed in the room before Fire Regulations were breached.

"setting the meeting"....What's that?

If you can't offer PROOF why even comment other than to instigate?

Are you having second thoughts about your post?

Collapse -
Yes, I can offer PROOF ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 10, 2010 11:30 PM PST

it is in the same link as the initial post offered -- didn't you READ it?

No second thoughts about my post nor about yours.

Collapse -
Bullying?
by James Denison / November 8, 2010 11:36 PM PST

Who was being bullied, and who was trying to be the bully? If there was a specific press entourage dedicated to covering the event with the President, there would also have been information given to the Indian authorities on who was expected to be in that press group. Seems from what I read that there was a preset number of reporters to be allowed and the Indians were trying to force the change and Gibbs withstood them on it. In that, since he is the press secretary, he was doing what's right. Whether I like or dislike Gibbs has nothing to do with how I view his actions and justification in them in this instance.

Collapse -
"Gibbs convinced them, through high volume and repetition,"
by Mike_Hanks / November 8, 2010 8:02 PM PST

The standard Democrat debating style???
What an embarrassment for America.

Collapse -
(NT) better than bowing before them
by James Denison / November 8, 2010 8:24 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) How about rational discourse?
by EdHannigan / November 8, 2010 8:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Lesson in rational discourse
by James Denison / November 8, 2010 11:38 PM PST

Go to a hotel owned or run by some East Indians. Take issue with something on the bill. Now, try and have a "rational" discourse with them. Your definition of "rational" will soon change. Gibbs dealt with the situation as needed. No need to be a carpet with words of "wipe feet here" on it.

Collapse -
Someone say it was a debate?
by JP Bill / November 8, 2010 8:31 PM PST

Did you watch the video?

As the discussion continued, Gibbs grew more animated.

more animated?...He waved his finger and pointed at himself and the press pool that's all I saw.

I didn't hear any shouting...talking loud enough to be be heard?...Yes...no shouting.

literally had his foot lodged in the closing front door,

like literally getting a gun and shooting yourself?

It didn't happen and he didn't have his foot stuck in the door?

Waving his finger is better than calling in an airstrike.

Collapse -
Thanks for the observations ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 8, 2010 11:10 PM PST

which are a bit strange coming from you as you are literally calling a liberal reporter a LIAR!

"The Washington Post's Scott Wilson?who was on White House pool duty Monday and filed the report for the White House press corps?wrote that "Gibbs announced loudly and persistently ... At one point, Gibbs literally had his foot lodged in the closing front door, asking if the Indian security officials pushing hard to shut it were going to break his foot,

If YOU watched the video you should have noted the "in your face" attitude of Gibbs as well as his loundess AND you should have noted the spots where the video was cut and spliced at a point where had it not been it may well have showed the foot in the door.

Collapse -
You're funny
by JP Bill / November 8, 2010 11:17 PM PST

You really think they cut the part showing him with his foot in the door out?

You're Killing me Ed.

Collapse -
(NT) What a thought
by Edward ODaniel / November 10, 2010 11:31 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?