User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 94.33 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 930.22 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

In or about August 2007 I had to do a clean re-instal of my operating system. Since then, the program Musicmatch needed an update to the new version. I refused the update. However the old version began to malfunction and I had to uninstal the same. I thought I had removed every iota of musicmatch from the system but when opening Drive "D" to use the auto play function musicmatch is in the list. I have tried almost everything I can to remove the same without success, hence this inquiry thread. Also I have found that musicmatch and other deleted programs are still shown in the customised start menue list.

I shall be greatful for any suggestions with respect to the removal of
musicmatch ghost from the auto play function as well as the other ghosts from the customised start menue list.

Thanking you in advance for your kind attention.

Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ghost of Musicmatch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ghost of Musicmatch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read this description
by PudgyOne / January 23, 2008 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Ghost of Musicmatch
Collapse -
Ghost of Musicmatch.
by standeb / January 23, 2008 4:44 AM PST
In reply to: Read this description

Hi PudgyOne,

Thank you for your suggestions. Indeed I tried to re-download from the sites you captioned but those efforts failed. I Could not even get the download from Cnet download.com as there were no downloads available on site.

Accordingly I had to remove the ghost from the system via Grif's
suggestions which you will no doubt read.

Again thank you for your contribution. Although it failed it was worth a try anyway.

Best regards

Standeb.

Collapse -
Tried Removing The Autoplay Items Like This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Ghost of Musicmatch

It's a registry edit at the paths below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ AutoplayHandlers \ Handlers \ <handler>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ AutoplayHandlers \ EventHandlers \ <Event Name>

You can use a registry edit to remove the remnants or manually remove the problem entry. Go through each registry string and remove the Musicmatch entries.

Or there are programs which will do the removal for you, such as the one below or TweakUI:

http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Autoplay-Repair/Autoplay-Repair.html

As to the remaining items in the Start menu, uninstall programs frequently "forget" to delete those shortcuts.. Simply RIGHT click on the shortcut and choose "Delete".. As long as the rest of the program is installed, there shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ghosts of Musicmatch
by standeb / January 23, 2008 5:04 AM PST

Hello Grif,

How are you? I keep reading threads by you in reply to other threads.
You're doing really good work.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have never entered the registry because it seems intimidating although I know I'll have to do so one good day.

I tried your suggestion at snapfiles.com and was successful in removing the offending ghost (Musicmatch. Howewver I still could not find any way to remove the remaining ghosts more particularly described as Customise Notifications past items situate in the Task Bar And Start Menue Properties, mentioned in my initial thread. Those items are with respect to programs downloaded and uninstalled i.e., Winamp, Spyware Doctor and Error Smart, to name a few.

Any suggestions you may have to remove those items will be appreciated.

Sincerest thanks to you.

Standeb.

Collapse -
As To The "Customize Notifications" in the
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Ghosts of Musicmatch

.. "Customize Notifications past items situate in the Task Bar And Start Menue Properties", the registry edit in the link below is still the best way to proceed. It's an easy edit.. Take a look:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/notification_area.htm

Have you tried using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility? It should allow you to identify any remaining registry entries and edit out those items from uninstalled programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ghosts of Musicmatch
by standeb / January 24, 2008 2:27 AM PST

Hello Grif,

Thank you again for your reply and suggestions.

My first time at entering the registry was this time. It took some searching and/or understanding to locate where the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify resided but I founded it after 15 minutes of carefull searching. I then followed the instructions given at The Elder Geek website and the job was successfull

However I did not use the Windows cleanup utility because some of the folders at some time may be used when I decide to re-install one or more of those programs and leaving them will prevent duplication of programs so far as I understand from the explaination given on site from Microsoft. I will however later remove the other folders I consider for removal.

Grif; Thank you kindly for your time, patience and expertise. The world will need many more persons like you.

Best regards.

standeb.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Keep Up The Good Work!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2008 4:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Ghosts of Musicmatch
by standeb / January 24, 2008 5:56 AM PST

Hi Grif.

Just an observation. The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is not the solution to the problem of removing the folders mentioned eg, Error Smart,Musicmatch etc.

I note that in using the same method to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE... etc I saw all of the folders Musicmatch, Error Smart, Media Monkey etc. My question now is whether I could safely delete these folders? Those programs had been uninstalled from the system long ago but the folders and/o entries remain.

As regards Error Smart "No Value Set" but in sub folders there ate things like, "Check Update", "Scan Update" (no qoutes)etc.

Can you advise?

Thanking you.

standeb.

Collapse -
Ghosts of Musicmatch
by standeb / January 25, 2008 4:23 AM PST

Hello guys,

Perhaps you may not have seen my follow up thread yesterday.

Can you advise whether or how could the folders situate as stated in that thread can be removed. Seems that they are just there doing nothing but taking up space on the hard drive since the programs have long been uninstalled and cleaning needs to be done to gain space on the Hard Drive which has 9.56 MB of 20 MB free space remaining. I am just seeking the correct way to remove them. I Figure that there is more to just deleting them because there may besome things in the Task manager or otherwise elsewhere that may have to be done.

Any suggestions here will be greatly appreciated. It was my first excursion into the registry and don't want to do anything wrong because this system is vital to the running of my business and the only one I have at the moment.

Thanking you.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Yes, You Can Safely Removed The Uninstalled Items
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 7:21 AM PST

...As long as they've been uninstalled, you can remove the registry items/folders in the same manner as you removed the previously uninstalled item.. It will cause them to disappear from the "Autoplay" or "Customized Start Menu" listings..

Did you really mean that you had 20 MB hard drive or do you instead mean you have a 20 GB hard drive?.. And are there 9 MB's remaining or 9 GBs? If you've got 9 GB of space left, then that's not really a problem.

Still, if you're wanting to gain hard drive space, removing those items from the registry won't do it.. It simply causes the listings to disappear from the Customized Start Menu section.. Saving space requires the deletion of actual files such as uninstalling programs or deleting unnecessary files.. Save large files like music and pictures to CD's or DVD's.. The link below should help get you started.. (With Windows XP, there's no need to delete the .chk files as stated in the article.):

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ghosts of Musicmatch
by standeb / January 25, 2008 9:24 AM PST

Hello Grif,

Thank you for the tips. I have a 20 GB Hard Drive. 9.57 GBs remain. Sorry about the error. Since you said that the folders do not pose a problem in terms of Drive Space. I will let them alone. I already had your thread with How to remove unwanted files from the Hard Drive, printed. I learned that by heart. I just do it from my fingertips now.

Thank you for all the great information and God Bless.

Standeb.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!