Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Ghost? Constant freezing, scrolling, right/left clicking,etc

by stillaguamish / June 12, 2005 2:38 PM PDT

running: windows xp, sp2

Lately my computer has been freezing every 10 (or so) minutes, more often when I'm running more programs. I can usually work without interruptions for 15 minutes if just running 2 firefox windows plus aim, but in most cases I need to run photoshop, have a few folders open, and other programs.

-freezes constantly and only unfreezes when I go into Task Manager and click the program and ''bring to front'' but even then will sometimes freeze again and I have to re do that AND if I let my computer sleep for a little bit, I have to restart it because it wont start up again
-randomly will highlight everything on the page and then scroll down
-will lock on ''fast scroll'' (when most of the screen becomes more opaque and then you can quickly scroll up or down. example: when you click down the wheel in the middle of the mouse)
-randomly my ENTIRE startup menu/bar won't work
-apparently some of my files (since the ghost has come) have been corrupt. I crashed the computer at the film store 3 times when I was tryign to print jpegs. They said they weren't real jpegs, just a bunch of code. but the rest printed ok (saved at relatively teh same time)

I've run mcafee virus scan, ashampoo winoptimizer programs, and hijackthis and have come up with nothing.

-windows firewall and my router's firewall set up (netgear rp614)
-sony vaio laptop with 40 gigs (2 seperate hard drives) with 512 RAM

NOTES: My internet boots me constantly as well, more often at night (every 5 minutes)

and I spilled a little bit of soda on my keyboard a afew weeks ago and cannot use the S or D key. So I use a wireless keyboard.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP POSSIBLE. I AM SLOWLY DYING OF AGONY.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ghost? Constant freezing, scrolling, right/left clicking,etc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ghost? Constant freezing, scrolling, right/left clicking,etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by dagger906 / June 12, 2005 2:41 PM PDT

See if you can find which programs are using all the cpu power. Malfuncting programs sometimes consume nearly 100% cpu power and cause lag.

Collapse -
low cpu usage
by stillaguamish / June 12, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: RE

I had already checked the CPU and it's down at 2-4% (about 175 M) and still being really slow and choppy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?