General discussion

Ghost

I have a program I use regularly that requires an activation process to run. Unfortunately, the company has gone under and the activation process is no longer available. If I ever uninstall the program or restore my computer, I won't be able to use it.

I have an external hard drive. I was wondering if I installed Ghost and made a copy of my hard drive, would I be able to run that program from the external drive?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Ghost
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Ghost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm afraid not.

The file written by Ghost is only understandable by Ghost to restore it. You can't use it from Windows.

The best to do: find in the Registry where the keys belonging to this program are, and export them to a reg.file. Then burn both the regfile and this programs folder from Program Files to a cd.
Try on another computer if the program will run if you copy it from the CD to the 'same' folder in Program Files and you import the registry information in its registry. It all depends on how and where the activation is being registered.

Hope this helps.

Kees

- Collapse -
I'm familiar with regedit

Is that where I find the registry key to export?

- Collapse -
Re: regedit.

Yes, that's the way to go. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software is the place to go. You'll note entries for software manufacturers mainly. Select the key you want to export, then Register>Export. Can be repeated for other keys.

Hope it works.

Kees

- Collapse -
I've exported and imported

the entire registry but never just one key. I understand how to export but, importing a single key into the registry has me puzzeled. Would you be so kind as to provide instructions or a link? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Re: export and import

Registry>Export makes a .reg file. You can have a look at it with Notepad, it's quite understandable.
Registry>Import lets you choose a .reg file to import. If it contains one key, it imports just that one key.

That's easy, isn't it?

As far as I know (but I've never done it, I think) you can also doubleclick on the .reg-file in Explorer to run regedit in import-mode on that file.

Hope this helps.

Kees

- Collapse -
that is easy

I thought I might have to find the right place to put it. That helps a lot. I found two keys for the software program and will export them both. My computer is running fine right now and I have no plans to upgrade or buy new. Nevertheless, you never know when you might need to reinstall XP. I have the installation CD but that doesn't do any good when you need to activate it and the company is no longer in business. Thanks. Gail

- Collapse -
Kees suggestion is excellent...

but if you trusted us with information such as the name of the program and who published it it is possible that it isn't as orphaned as you think.

CNET Forums

Forum Info