PC Applications forum

General discussion

Ghost 2003 - Can't explore Spanned Image

by raiello3 / September 18, 2005 5:31 AM PDT

Using Ghost 2003 on WinXP Home SP2. Images saved to DVD.
I've done a "successful" integrity check on the spanned DVD image and it WILL Restore, but when trying to "Explore", it says it's "corrupt or files are missing" and will only show first folder ("load incomplete")!? Yet, when using an image that's entirely on a single DVD, there is no problem. I've never had any problems restoring an image, but I've just never bothered to use the "Explore" utility before. Am I doing something wrong? I tried copying the spanned image to an empy folder on the HDD but still got the same results when trying to "Explore". Iniitially, I assumed it was a bad image (although I've never had a bad image before) and tried to use the "Explore" utility on a different spanned image set, but had same results.
Would this have anything to do with the NTFS format or am I screwing something up? Any insights would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ghost 2003 - Can't explore Spanned Image
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ghost 2003 - Can't explore Spanned Image
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In the Ghost 9.0 manual
by El Alquimista / September 18, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

they say:

''If your backup image is on removable media, you can copy the segments of the backup to a fixed drive and restore files from the fixed drive.''

This information was not found in the Ghost 2003 or 2004 manuals, but I thought it might work for those releases also. As we normally ghost directly to a hard drive on a different computer, I have never needed to try it. As you tried it without success, that may be the reason it was not mentioned in 2003 or 2004.

Therefore, I have only one suggestion: can you ''unspan'' the image as you copy it to a Hdd, creating a single image? If so, perhaps you could then use Ghost Explorer.

I have used Ghost for years, and have become more unhappy with each new release. I will be switching to Acronis True Image next time -- From what I've heard, I don't think it could be any worse.

Frank

Collapse -
re: in the ghost manual
by raiello3 / September 20, 2005 6:44 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply Frank,
I'd have responded back sooner, but I've been gone a few days.
When I copied the 2 disks to a newly formatted partition, there were the .GHS files with the last as a .gho. The files were listed just like they are when I save an image directly to a folder on the HDD. Did you mean that they should be copied over in a certain order? I'm not sure I understand your suggestion to ''...''unspan'' the image as you copy it to a HDD...''.

About your concerns with the recent ghost versions - I ran across a site that has A LOT of info on ghost (and other good stuff like Fdisk) including a really good manual in plain English.
<http://ghost.radified.com/> They're real big on ghost up untill v9 and 10 like you were saying because ''...it's not really Ghost. It's actually Drive Image, a similar imaging/cloning product originally developed by PowerQuest, a company Symantec purchased on 05.dec.2003.'' ''The reason Ghost 9 (Drive Image in disguise) is *controversial* is because it supports a feature Symantec calls 'Hot Imaging', which allows you to to create images of/from a 'LIVE' operating system, while files are able to change. Hot imaging might sound attractive to the casual user, but it comes with hidden risks that concern many veterans of the program.'' They also mentioned that v10 is just v9 with encryption capabilities and apparently isn't real reliable noting that ''Symantec includes a copy of Ghost 2003 in the Ghost 10 retail box''. Hmmmmmm... what does that tell you.

I thought I'd mention that I have Acronis 8.0 and I bought it because of the consistently good reviews and because I hadn't figured out how to use ghost yet at the time. Acronis however isn't without it's own little share of agravations. When it has an image creation failure, which I've had a few times, it's not real helpful. There is a line on p 66 in the users manual that says removable media has to be fully formatted ahead of time. (Which of course I forgot about.) So when you try to create an image, you get a prompt reminding you that you can use ''either a blank CD (or DVD) or a CD containing archives......only if the CD has enough free space.'' Duhhhh... I wouldn't have thought of that! Notice that it doesn't remind you to format that blank disk first! So when you try to use that unformatted blank disk, you get ''Failed to write data......possible reason might be poor media quality.'' Ghost on the other hand, will write to the disk whether it's formatted or not, and will ask if you want to overwrite when there's existing data on the disk. Another aggravation was Acronis' idea of an update is to re-download the entire program. No big deal IF you have broadband - unfortunately, I'm stuck with dialup. After one of their recent updates, the program would consistantly fail after I'd gone through all the settings and written a description in the allotted box - I ended up reverting back to the previous build. The current update seems to work OK. On the up side, it's an easy program to learn and work with, and exploring an image is a piece of cake. Exploring a spanned image requires copying the files to the hard drive, but it works fine no matter which file in the image you click on. It's also a bit faster than Ghost and the image size is a bit smaller.

If I had to choose between Ghost v9/10 or Acronis, I'd go with Acronis. Between Acronis and Ghost 2003 however, I'd have to go with Ghost since my priority is a reliable restoration. When the proverbial fecal material strikes the oscillating blade, all the other bells and whistles are icing on the cake, but useless if there is no cake.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?