Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Getting Trojan alert with Jing download

McAfee shoots a trojan alert (Backdoor-CEP) when I open jing_setup.exe, and this is prior to the actual install of the program.

Jing: http://www.download.com/Jing-Project/3000-13633_4-10744274.html

McAfee Trojan page: http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=125294

McAfee pop up alert text:

"McAfee has automatically blocked and removed a Trojan.

About this Trojan
Detected: BackDoor-CEP (Trojan), BackDoor-CEP (Trojan)
Location: C:\Users\Owner\7EC96FCD0C1246D3988AFB802F138BEB.TMP\WiseCustomCalla.dll

Trojans appear as legitimate programs but can damage valuable files, disrupt performance, and allow unauthorized access to your computer."

This is on Windows Vista, which I keep updated. The .exe file itself scans clean

Can anyone repeat my findings?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Trojan alert with Jing download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Trojan alert with Jing download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jing download......

In reply to: Getting Trojan alert with Jing download

Collapse -
Jing

In reply to: Jing download......

Because I never heard of those sites.

The .exe file checked clean. But when I turned off my realtime scanning and opened the file it wrote three new .dll files. Two of them were clean, but the third came back with 6 hits. How do I report this to CNET/Download.com?

File WiseCustomCalla.dll received on 09.28.2008 05:43:02 (CET)Antivirus Version Last Update Result
Ikarus T3.1.1.34.0 2008.09.28 Backdoor.Win32.Bifrose.wsv
McAfee 5393 2008.09.27 BackDoor-CEP
Norman 5.80.02 2008.09.26 Bifrose.AAPH
Prevx1 V2 2008.09.28 Worm
Sunbelt 3.1.1675.1 2008.09.27 Backdoor.Win32.Bifrose.wsv
VBA32 3.12.8.6 2008.09.27 Backdoor.Win32.Bifrose.wsv

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/10a1dc52ca21e9be3c20762e6aa5a807

Collapse -
Jing. exe

In reply to: Jing

I have informed our administrator, Lee Koo, to inform Download.com about this.

Collapse -
(NT) Reported to the Download.com team. Thanks!

In reply to: Jing. exe

Collapse -
UPDATE

In reply to: Getting Trojan alert with Jing download

Hi slips,

I reported this software title to the CNET Download.com team and they did a thorough test with the title and did not come with anything malicious. It is very possible that it is false positive reported by McAfee, which can happen.

When these types of alerts are reported to the Download team, they are very thorough in making sure that it is clean. Anyways I hope this helps.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Blocked download

In reply to: UPDATE

I'm bumping this because I'm getting a similar message, but on Ad Aware. It happens right after Jing prompts me to download some extra software (Netware 3.0). AdWatch identified a backdoor trojan and aborts the download.

Collapse -
Despite Lee's results from Download,com...

In reply to: Blocked download

the Virus total results are being picked up by many reliable AV/AS scanners as trouble. To be picked up by one or 2 maybe a false positive BUT by 6 or 8??? No way!

In particular a "Backdoor trojan" is not only nasty in itself but allows for the download of further trouble such as keyloggers,
Rogue AV programs and even (potentially)take over for a botnet via backdoor access & control.

Personally, I refuse to download anything from that site period. I've been burned there before. I noticed MS AV 2009 (ROGUE) site showed 5 star rating from download.com among others (could be phony) but there you have it. Almost weekly we get these report from users.

Is it possible to get Jing from the author's home site? If so, you might try it and see if it tests clean. If not or not clean, then
I would DO WITHOUT the program & it's troubles. JMHO! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.