Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Getting the world to like U.S.

by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2004 12:21 AM PDT

How about an open letter...something like the following;

Dear (country/organization and leader here),

We understand that many people in the world have grown to dislike the USA. We would like to change this and my administration will make this goal a top priority. What we need from countries or their leaders is real suggestions of how to achieve this. We are not interested in hearing about evils of the past but want to move forward. What I am asking of you as leader of a country or organization which has expressed anti US sentiments is to name just one thing that we could change or give you that might improve your impression of us in a way that could win your trust and future cooperation. No request is too large or small. We are awaiting your replies. Thank you

The new president of the USA.

So, what might some of the replies be and from whom???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting the world to like U.S.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting the world to like U.S.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I will waive my right to comment, but it's a comment.
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 22, 2004 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
one reply might be
by jonah jones / July 22, 2004 1:15 AM PDT

dear Mr Bush, congrats on the second term, no request....just do your job.....

Collapse -
Re: Getting the world to like U.S./addendum
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2004 7:03 AM PDT

By "new" president of the US, I was not referring to any candidate by name as it could well refer to GWB if granted a "new" term. Might I offer an example of a reply;

Hi, Osama here. I have been trying to get atomic bombs to send to you but you have been disrupting my suppliers. So, I am asking that if you go nuke yourself, that would make me very happy. Sincerely, OBL

Collapse -
ROTF, if he gives us a little time ..
by xerpor / July 22, 2004 7:08 AM PDT

we'll eat ourselves to death. Sad

I'll pass on the chicken though for right now.

Collapse -
Re: Getting the world to like U.S.
by Angeline Booher / July 22, 2004 8:52 AM PDT

Dear New US President,

Please don't judge my country by things you were told in your briefing by the outgoing President.

He was always saying in his press conferences that we invaded weaker neighbors at the drop of a hat. I am here to tell you that we spent several days before deciding which ones to over run first, And our motives were good- they had land and stuff we needed. Well, not really needed, but wanted.

Now, don't believe it when he tells you that we would not send any troops when asked to aid other countries. (Of course, my troops are busy elsewhere.) The truth is that my wife personally prepared several delicious casseroles to contribute, and will be happy to do so in the future.

We are not an evil empire. We are not even an empire, and won't be until we can invade enough weaker neighbors.

So, please, Mr. President- don't be influenced by the bias of your predecessor!

I will be available to discuss important matters with you at any time. if I am away invading somewhere, or sunning myself on some beach, you can leave a message with my next in command (my son), or the next (my brother), or the next (my brother-in-law).

Oh yes! We did not spend the last millions you sent us on frivolities. (We needed a new palace!)

(signed) (Fill in your own name)

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Don't repeat...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 22, 2004 10:32 AM PDT

" We are not interested in hearing about evils of the past but want to move forward." - S.G Haninger.

A good start would be not to repeat the evils of the past...

Collapse -
Re: Don't repeat...
by Steven Haninger / July 22, 2004 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't repeat...

You would be welcome, if you like, to take on the identity of the prez and pen the entire outbound message yourself.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "We are not interested in hearing..." - Ridiculous!
by crowsfoot / July 22, 2004 3:13 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) "We are not interested in hearing..." - Ridiculous!
"We are not interested in hearing..." - Ridiculous!

Might I ask who is the "WE" of which you speak? Who are you representing here besides yourself?
Collapse -
Re:
by crowsfoot / July 23, 2004 12:46 PM PDT

Hi S.G.,

I'm quoting your open letter.
As in: "We are not interested in hearing about evils of the past but want to move forward."

After I posted, I wondered if you'd take it the wrong way. I should have elaborated a bit. I sure didn't mean to say your idea was ridiculous. To the contrary, I think it's great. What I meant to imply is that we (and for the most part Rep administrations, lately) are forever assuming the big Kings X, you know? A clean slate and no blame no regrets no oops's and most especially, no I'm sorrys. We've done some gosh-awful foreign policy things. We've backed some horrible monsters. We've shunned and insulted our friends. We lay down dire consequences for any who balk at our 'do as we say, not as we do' proclamations. Don't want to have to say you're sorry? Don't do the crime! Play it straight. People don't just forget just because we eat a cracker and take a sip of wine. Whether or not we want to hear it, they're talking about us out there. But then of course, "We are not interested in hearing..." We come off looking like we're only interested in slapping people into line and can't be bothered beyond that.

I think we stand a better chance with a little more listening. It costs nothing and we might gain some useful perspective. When we're wrong, we're wrong and we almost always end up paying for it. Most of the time there's a story to be told on our side of things but we can't tell it if we disallow the conversation to begin. I'm just saying: Buck-up people. Listening doesn't mean you've rolled over and stuck your paws in the air. And it doesn't stop you from taking any actions in the future. It just means that we're a little less likely to keep making the same mistakes over and over again. And the folks who should naturally be on our side won't be so insulted by arrogance that they have to speak kind of quietly and with so many qualifiers.

So anyhow, that's what I find ridiculous and that's my recommendation, Mr. President. Don't add insult to injury by including that line in your letter.

Collapse -
Re:/My oops too!
by Steven Haninger / July 23, 2004 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Charge this to my growing senility as, because you did not italicize the line as my quote, I did not recall it as such. My letter from the prez was meant as a possible example and not something I would necessary suggest if being the ghost writer of it. It was deliberately included, however, to attempt to state that there might really be no value in flogging the US for what may have happened....that we would like to get past that and that we would be looking for constructive responses and not just criticism. This was just an exercise that I put myself through after reading many posts here and elsewhere citing the US as creating it's own enemies. I could agree there is value in this thinking but I cannot agree that we can vote this problem away. I would say that attempting such is a copout. The prez (past/present) was not the cause and will not be the cure.

Collapse -
<i>"cannot... vote this problem away."</i> I muchly disagree
by crowsfoot / July 24, 2004 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:/My oops too!

When the Ugly American / Hate America discussion comes up on TV, I keep hearing: "We LIKE the American people. It's your administration and it's foreign policies that we can't stand." I think one of the prime factors in the hatred of America is exactly and precisely that Republican administrations are forever saying: "We are not interested in hearing about evils of the past but want to move forward." . People don't work that way. It's impossible. It's not going to happen. Put the shovel down.

We strengthen our enemies and disarm our allies by refusing to listen and own-up to our past sins. We are going to move forward. . Don't worry about that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.