Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Getting Started with Windows Vista Beta 2...

by John.Wilkinson / June 16, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

Now that you?ve stumbled upon Cnet?s new Windows Vista forum, here are some of the basics you should know to get started. For more information consult the links below, particularly the Product Guide from Microsoft...it?s quite a read, but contains some valuable information.

Requirements:
For basic operation you must have at least an 800MHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a 20GB hard drive with 15GB free space. To find out if you meet the requirements to use the various features and display the advanced graphics of Windows Vista, it is highly recommended that you click here to download and run the Vista Upgrade Advisor first. (Requires Windows XP.)

Versions:
Vista Beta 2 is currently available in x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions in English, German, and Japanese. Support for additional languages will be available at the time of release, which at this time is scheduled for January 2007.

Time Limitations:
1.) Microsoft is offering the downloads and DVD orders for a limited time only...once a set number of people have downloaded Vista Beta 2, no new requests will be accepted.
2.) This is a time-limited demo that will cease to function on June 1, 2007.

This is a BETA!
Remember, this is a Beta, and should be treated as such. It should not be used on a mission-critical computer, nor should it be relied upon for mission-critical tasks. Vista Beta 2 is prone to crashes, is not compatible with all software, and does not yet support a variety of hardware due to driver issues. Those of us here on Cnet and other sites will try to answer any questions that are asked, but due to the nature of the product there are no guarantees that all questions can or will be answered. So, once again, use at your own risk!

Availability:
The first option is to download a copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 yourself. For instructions and the download link, click here. Note that the download of the 32-bit version is 3200MB and the 64-bit version is 4109MB, so a broadband connection is strongly recommended. Due to the size, you will need to burn the ISO to a DVD. Note that Microsoft is not offering the download as a set of ISOs for burning to CDs.

Note: If you are receiving an error message that Microsoft?s servers are overwhelmed, you can download the English versions directly: Vista Beta 2 x86 (32-bit) and Vista beta 2 x64 (64-bit). You?ll have to officially register later to receive your Product Key, but this way you can avoid the wait to install.

The other option is to order a DVD containing the Beta from Microsoft. The CD is free, but you must pay for shipping and handling, and it is not currently available in all countries. You can reach the order form using the link above.

If you don't have a DVD-ROM drive:
If you do not have a DVD-ROM drive but would still like to install Vista Beta 2, you can do so by using a DVD-ROM emulator such as Daemon Tools, which is free. You can use it to mount the ISO and install directly. This is also useful if you?re receiving errors during installation, an ongoing issue.

Information and Reviews:
* Vista Beta Resource Center (Product Guide!)
* Official Vista website
* Paul Thurrott?s Vista site and reviews
* Windows Vista Team Blog
* Windows Vista newsgroup
* Cnet?s Vista Beta 2 review

Hope this helps,
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting Started with Windows Vista Beta 2...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting Started with Windows Vista Beta 2...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista-compatible security software...
by John.Wilkinson / June 19, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

Here are some of the free and free-to-try security solutions that are currently listed as being compatible with Windows Vista Beta 2:

1.) Computer Associates has been gracious enough to offer all Vista beta testers a 1-year subscription to eTrust EZ Antivirus free of charge. This is the release version, not a beta, and is designed to work seamlessly with Vista.

2.) Avast is officially listed as being Vista-compatible, both the free and paid versions.

3.) Windows Vista Firewall may be two-way, but it's still not as capable, in my opinion, as the third-party alternatives. Unfortunately I know of no free firewalls that are compatible with Vista at this time. (However, see #4.)

4.) TrendMicro is offering a free trial of PC-cillin Internet Security (Beta) which runs through the end of October. It's the full suite including antivirus, firewall, spyware, and spam protection.

5.) Remember, Windows Vista now includes Windows Defender (still in beta) as a pre-installed security option, whereas you must download it separately if you're running Windows XP.

5.) Classic freeware such as AdAware, SpyBot, and SpywareBlaster are all known to be operational in Vista!

Note: This is not a complete list, but a short summary of the top free and free-trial security options available. Most others, including Norton and McAfee, are currently beta testing their security solutions privately, and will have them ready later this year. Until then the above (free) options should do.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Re-posted - Final version of Windows vista
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 19, 2006 7:34 PM PDT

For ''d6rth7ader''.

I have removed your post and re-posted it without the link to ''isulong seoph''. Sorry, but the link to the blog web site was off-topic, and not relevant to your post.

Here is your (edited) post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When is the final version of Windows vista be released?
I heard it will be available before 2006 ends. is it true?

{web site removed}

Posted by: d6rth7ader (see profile) - 06/20/2006 2:25 AM
In reply to: Getting Started with Windows Vista Beta 2... by John.Wilkinson Moderator

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark

Collapse -
Unfortunately not anymore...
by John.Wilkinson / June 20, 2006 12:36 AM PDT

Windows Vista was scheduled for release this November, before Thanksgiving and just in time for the holiday rush. However, it's been delayed further. While volume-licensing customers can still expect to receive their copies in November, Vista will not hit store shelves for the general consumer until January.

John

Collapse -
AVG is now Vista-compatible...
by John.Wilkinson / July 14, 2006 1:27 AM PDT

Earlier today it was announced that AVG is now compatible with Windows Vista. Microsoft has released an update to Vista Beta 2 (run Windows Update if it's not set to do so automatically) that should resolve the compatibility issue with the latest version of AVG Antivirus.

John

Collapse -
AVG update?
by katy98 / July 17, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

Would this now compatible version work for those beta users that are still using build 5384? My update windows install history shows 3 updates for Defender and all the other 8 updates for Longhorn Server. Is the update supposed to refer to AVG?

TIA.........katy

Collapse -
Microsoft's KB921590...
by John.Wilkinson / July 17, 2006 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG update?

The update is designed for Vista Beta 2, which is the same thing as build 5384. The update you need to make sure has been downloaded/installed is KB921590, which can be downloaded through Windows Update as well as by clicking here. Once that update is installed you should have no problem installing and running Vista.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
So glad to hear this
by daistarr3 / July 30, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

I have been using the offered Trend Micro program. I plan to go right to AVG and redownload theirs. I knew I should of still tried using AVG with the Vista beta. AVG was the only Virus program that was compatible with XP 64. This has made my day!

Collapse -
AVG For RC-1
by Jherr201 / October 1, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

Hi John
I found your post about AVG very useful at the time and thought this to be the best place to ask this question. Do you know if AVG will be releasing an update for Vista RC-1. I just installed RC-1 over Vista Beta 2. Now AVG does not work. It will scan OK but the Resident Shield will not load. I tried reinstalling but got the error that it was not compatible with this version of Vista. As this is still a work in progress, I understand that everyone needs to play catch up, but sometimes........
I also tried to uninstall the AVG but keep getting failures no matter if I try to uninstall using AVG's uninstaller or from the control panel. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
C J

Collapse -
Re: AVG For RC-1
by stonehkm / October 1, 2006 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG For RC-1

I installed it and it works great! It would not work on 64bit (x64) however, so I switched back to 32bit (x86).
Make sure it is the latest version!!!

Collapse -
AVG-working now
by Jherr201 / October 2, 2006 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: AVG For RC-1

I just reinstalled RC-1 (32bit) but installed it clean this time. Perhaps the malfunction had something to do with the fact that I had upgraded Beta-2. AVG installed without a hitch and is now working fine. Makes me wonder if it is just an upgrade issue and if so, whether it will be ironed out by the final release. I guess I will just stay tuned.
Yhanks
C J

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bump!
by John.Wilkinson / July 28, 2006 5:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good Gosh!
by BlazeEagle / August 4, 2006 4:06 PM PDT

15 gigs free? WOW cow poop!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?