TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Getting router to work with cable box.

by bukwus / December 3, 2013 3:19 AM PST

Hi

I have a pretty standard Comcast cable box with my TV and two consoles in the living room. In the next room I have a modem and router connected to it for WiFi. I tried disconnecting the router from the modem and connecting it via Ethernet cable to the cable box, but had no luck with WiFi. My goal is to have the router in the same room as the TV and consoles.
Is there a way to connect the router to the cable box?

Many thanks,
Andy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting router to work with cable box.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting router to work with cable box.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
No model numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 3:36 AM PST

And without that I can't comment if the cable box has settings to change.

HOWEVER when I install the router I power down the router, move the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router then power up the cable modem, wait for lights to go stable then power up the router so I can configure the router.

Your post didn't reveal much.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've had Comcast for years
by Pepe7 / December 3, 2013 11:30 AM PST

By now it's probably been more than a decade. <looking at empty wallet.> Not once have I ever connected my cable box (either DVR or plain cable tuner) to my router. It just wasn't necessary, since I had a separate cable modem. It normally is a length of RJ6 cable from the wall into the back of the cable box (now, DVR). A Cable box doesn't need wifi, but a direct wired connection to the CMT head-end over coax.

Hint: if you split the coax which is in the same room as the cable box, you could relocate your cable modem to that more convenient point near your TV/othergear. <thinking about how many times I've moved all the crap around in various homes/apartments(!)>

<FWIW, I had to re-read your post since I originally had the same thought as Bob.>

cheers

Collapse -
Seeing that I was unclear
by bukwus / December 3, 2013 12:09 PM PST

Thanks for this reply. I'm seeing from both Proffit's and your replies that I'm not being clear. Sorry about that. My goal is to be able to connect my consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) via ethernet to the router. The modem only has a coax cable-in port while the cable box has both in and out. My choices, as I understand it, are figuring a way to make the router work while connected to the cable box or run a VERY long ethernet cable from the modem in one room to the router that I'd place in the living room (where the consoles are). I'd like to avoid the long ethernet cable so that's why I'm posting on the forum to get some advice and hopefully learn something new.
If model numbers are necessary, I'll post those next.

Collapse -
A wireless bridge would work too
by Pepe7 / December 3, 2013 11:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Still waiting for your make/model numbers(!) ;)
by Pepe7 / December 5, 2013 12:51 PM PST
Wink
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.