Computer Help forum

General discussion

Getting rid of unwanted files

by FshrKing / February 25, 2005 2:13 AM PST

Hi, I just bought a new computer. How would one know which software is trial software. I would like to get rid of unnecessary programs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting rid of unwanted files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting rid of unwanted files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FshrKing, More Info Please...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 2:28 AM PST

You haven't given us any information about which computer you bought. Is it a "brand name" computer? It's probably Windows XP but does it have Service Pack 2 installed? (RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties". Click on the "General" tab will tell you the EXACT operating system.

That said, if you read the User Manual and documentation that came with the computer, it will frequently tell you which programs are trial software. Sometimes, simply opening the software program will tell you. Most of the newer computers have the antivirus program, either Norton or McAfee as trial software, but you should check just to make sure.

And since you said: "Unnecessary programs", there may be a number of programs which aren't required even though they may not be "trial software". Compaq and HP put a lot of "junk" on their computers which can be removed...I suggest checking each program carefully and removing them one at a time. Having some patience in this regard is a good approach.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
E Machine T5026
by FshrKing / February 25, 2005 5:23 AM PST

I bought the emachine T5026. I went the cheap route, I hope it works out.

Collapse -
Fshrking, I Just Helped A Customer Set Up A T5026
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: E Machine T5026

It was a nice little machine and only had a few things to uninstall. Personally, we uninstalled the Norton antivirus trial software because we installed something else..Likewise, we uninstalled the McAfee Security Center. It's not a required program. In addition, we MADE SURE to create an immediately set of Recovery CD's by using the computer's Recovery creation program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Software
by FshrKing / February 26, 2005 11:54 PM PST

Hi, what software did you replace the norton and mcfree security with? I will unistall it after the 90 day trial period is up. I don't know if the mcfree software had a trial period. It works, however I don't think you get to use all of its features.
fshrking

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by mackman / February 27, 2005 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Software

For Av get AVG or Avast for firewall Zone alarm for spy/ad/malware get Spybot s&d Adaware SE spywareblaster and spywareguard and Microsoft antispyware and CWshredder (all Free programs)

Collapse -
FshrKing, It's Your Choice...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Software

The McAfee Security Center is NOT a trialware..But, in my opinion, it's really not a necessary program so we uninstalled it. Instead, we installed an older version of McAfee Virus Scan 7 which he purchased. Unfortunately, YOU probably can't get this particular version of the software unless you buy it from a website such as eBay, etc. McAfee no longer sells it. If you like Norton, use it. If you like McAfee, use it. If you want to try the free antivirus programs like Avast or AVG, give them a shot. It's a personal preference that you will need to decide on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.