General discussion

Getting rid of monitoring software.

Their is something installed on this pc that allows everything I view and type to be monitored. I delete everything and it still always can be seen. How can I find where I am being monitored from? What I want is to see exactly what this spy is seeing. I know I must download or buy software to prevent this. I have windows xp. Any suggestions? I possess very little computer knowledge.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Getting rid of monitoring software.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting rid of monitoring software.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Kingsaw, How Do You Know??

...there is monitoring software ON the computer? Is this a "work" computer? Is it on a network? Which XP?PRO, HOME, SP1, SP2? Have you tried disabling the "Remote Desktop" option? (If you're using XP PRO SP2, as an administrative log on, open the Control Panel, double click on the Windows Firewall icon, click on the "Exceptions" tab, then UNCHECK the "Remote Assistance" and "Remote Desktop" options)

Have you checked the computer with either of the free online virus scanners below? If not, click on the links and run the free scans they provide.

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

Have you run the spyware removal tools from the links below? If not, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free programs:

Ad-Aware">http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/]Ad-Aware

- Collapse -
I know I am being watched.

Hey, I would like to reply sooner but I am being watched. This is a home computer and I would imagine it is home xp since it's at home? I've searched and do not have firewall and was able to find and turn off the remote assistance in the control panel. I was confused by the remote desktop options I found and could not change anything. (It would not allow me to change anything.)

I have spybot search and destroy but do not have time to learn how to use it. Do you think turning off the remote desktop assistance is enough?

- Collapse -
I'll Ask Again...Since It Appears ...

...like you very little knowledge about computers...HOW DO YOU KNOW that you're being monitored/watched? You'll need to give us a clue if we're going to help.

Is this YOUR computer or does someone else at the "home" have the administrative use of it?

All versions of Windows XP have a firewall. On earlier versions, the firewall section can be found by opening the Control Panel, then double click on the "Network Connections" icon, then RIGHT click on your internet connection icon, choose "Properties",, then click on the "Advanced" tab.

Just because the computer is at "home" does NOT mean that it's XP HOME..In order to determine the operating system, RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties". The next screen, under the "General" tab will indicate your operating system. Please tell us EXACTLY which version of XP you're using.

In order to make changes to the computer you MUST be logged on as an administrative user. ARE YOU able to log on as an administrator?

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Grif, your patience is amirable.

Thanks for your contributions.

- Collapse -
Looks like..

someone got caught. Good for you Grif.

- Collapse -
WINDOWS XP HOME

Thank you. The reason I believe I am being watched is because someone has been able to tell me everything I have looked up and typed after I had already deleted it. Also, when I choose my name it always claims I have program runing when I closed all programs. This is windows xp and their is someone else's name other than mine mentioned as the administrator. I believe I saw the firewall last night but was unable to know what to do. By logging on as administrative user do you just mean simply logging on under their name?

- Collapse -
Kingsaw, Who Is That Someone?

...You said: "someone has been able to tell me everything I have looked up and typed after I had already deleted it". Who is that? Is it the administrator of the computer? Since you are not the administrator of the computer, or at least it doesn't appear so, then you probably don't have sufficient rights on the computer to install programs, uninstall programs, or make system file changes. If that's the case, then you're not going to be able to eliminate any monitoring software that may, or may not have been placed there.

As administrator of my home computer, I could usually determine what my kids were doing simply by looking at various changes in the system. No special monitoring software is needed...Still, there is parental control software which will monitor and limit all the stuff you're referring to. If that's what you're discussing here, then I recommend that you talk to the computer administrator about it.

By the way, simply because you see there are programs running in the background, that doesn't mean that someone has monitoring software which is monitoring your use...

Logging in as an "administrative user" means that the owner/adminstrator of the computer has given your user name the premissions to log on as an administrator. You can determine whether you have "administrative rights" on your computer by clicking on Start-Run, then type CONTROL userpasswords2, then click on OK. A list of computer users and their rights "groups" will be displayed. Are you an "Adminstrator" or a "Limited User"? If you don't have adminstrator rights now, I'll again suggest you discuss it with the administrator of the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info