General discussion

Getting rid of HBO

Spybot informs me that I have an HBO, could this be because I'm using Mozilla as my browser, and how do I get rid of the HBO? I was also wondering if this could affect my cd-rom, it worked one second and the next it just stopped as I was ripping cd's to my hard drive. I'm using windows xp
Thanks,
Mark

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Getting rid of HBO
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting rid of HBO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Getting rid of BHO??

This sounds like a Browser Helper Object. Most of these only effect Internet explorer and are anything but helpful - I recently had to remove several from friends systems & it wasn't fun. The latest version of Adaware seems to be quite effective and AVG antivirus recognises some as a Trojan. The bed news is that they seem to be on the increase!
Nick

- Collapse -
Removal of BHO

Thanks nik, I do use avg but not adaware, maybe have to give it a shot! Thanks for your time and patience.
Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did Spybot tell you the name of the BHO?
- Collapse -
Removal of BHO

The only thing spybot told me was that I had a DSO exploit and that I had a possible extension hijack so.....I don't know if that helps or not, it said it had changed my registry. thanks for your time and patience! Mark

- Collapse -
Spybot..think it's a known bug

It will always find a DSO exploit...you let it remove it, reboot, and run Spybot and it finds it again.

- Collapse -
Try BHODemon 2.0.0.22

Neat little piece of software that will identify and eliminate BHO's. Remains active and will notify if a new one pops up. Have used for a long time with great success. This is the latest version.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html

Hope you like it!

Glenn

- Collapse -
If you picked up a BHO it was probably attached to a browser

If you picked up a BHO it was probably attached to a browser add-on. Since you are already using a Mozilla browser (Firefox is very good) make sure you clean off any old add-ons, including the Google search bar, from MSIE.

You may have to backtrack your registry for scraps left behind.

- Collapse -
Removal of BHO

Thanks Glenn, I found the BHO demon, downloaded it and I noticed my puter started acting very strange immediately so I uninstalled it, not sure if it had to do with the BHO itself still being on my computer or not, what I though was funny was that, everytime I ran spybot, it would show the DSO exploit and the possible hijack of an extension, I would tell it to remove the problem and then I could run it again immediately afterwards and it would show up then too, so what good does it do to have spybot if it doesn't remove it when you tell it to? Guess I just don't understand! Thanks for your time and patience, greatly appreciate it!
Mark

- Collapse -
DSO Exploit fix Mark

Make sure you do these in the correct order. That is a bug in Spybot which does not actually fix the problem when it says it does. There has been a beta fix released for it. Just download it on top of your current version. It will change your version to 1.3.1TX After you download it, run Spybot S&D, let it fix the exploit, then reboot and run it again. It should be gone, if not, just put it into ignore until Spybot comes out with a permanent fix for it which should be soon. I'm not sure if the rebooting is totally necessary but it seems to work better that way.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

Also, please be careful at Major Geeks and do NOT click on the ads, make sure you click on the correct thing it's confusing there unless you are used to it. Click on one of the "download locations" near the top of the page and when it takes you to the next page, do NOT click on the ad there, just wait for the download dialog box to start. Also make sure that Spybot is closed when you do this download and installation. Once that is done, open Spybot up and follow my previous instructions.

- Collapse -
Removal of BHO

hey Roddy,
It did take away the DS exploit and the possible hijack extension, thanks! I still have the funny feeling that there's still something on my computer that's not right, mozilla firefox won't load certain pages that in the past have loaded just fine, it times out all the time, tells me that this page cannnot be found, etc.....any suggestions? Thanks again!
Mark

- Collapse -
See if an online scan

at Trend Micro's Housecall finds anything. I'm going to give you the link for the European one because it uses Java instead of Active-X so it will work with FireFox. Let it fix anything it finds and if it finds something that it can not fix, find out the exact name of it and the location of it and we will go from there. IF you still have any sort of BHO, Glenn's suggestion of BHO Demon would be good but lets see what, if anything you still have. It will take the scanner a while to load and scan if you have never been there before.
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

- Collapse -
Removal of BHO

Roddy my good man, you are a scholar and a gentleman in my book any day! Thank you and I'll let you know the results.
Mark

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Mark, Good luck.
- Collapse -
BHO Removal

Hey Roddy, just wanted to thank you for the help, I scanned at the link you provied and it came up with nothing so....If I notice nothing different I think I'll just trust that I'm rid of of BHO, again, I appreciate all your help!
Sincerely,
Mark A

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Mark, Glad we could help.
- Collapse -
BHODemon will tell if you are through...

and also list any that are there... so you do not need to guess. It ranks them by severity and give as option to remove if you choose.

Glenn

CNET Forums

Forum Info