Computer Help forum

General discussion

getting rid of AOL! what do I do now?

We are finally canceling aol. Too hoggish,expensive etc. We use a cable modem and run Firefox(dont care too much for IE) so I know we dont really need an OSP, especially not at 29.99 a month. I was wondering once AOL is terminated and I uninstall what to expect and how to configure my comp to use Firefox alone. I am running XP Prof and am hoping it will do all the work for me but I am not sure. If there is a class or article you could steer me to I would really appreciate it.
Thanks so much for your time
Hanaleia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting rid of AOL! what do I do now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting rid of AOL! what do I do now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be pretty simple

In reply to: getting rid of AOL! what do I do now?

I think AOL still requires the use of a proxy server if you want to use a browser other than their own modification to IE, so you'll want to remove that from Firefox if it's there. Otherwise, it will Just Work(tm) once you set up the new connection.

Collapse -
re: getting rid of AOL ...

Assuming you have formally cancelled your AOL subscription and have your cable connection up and running you need to uninstall the AOL software (note: run Search with hidden and system files exposed and manally delete all fragments of AOL that are remaining after running Add/Remove programs. The next thing to do is have a few beers to celebrate getting rid of that beast! BTW, Firefox will automatically work and all you need do is configure it to your liking. Finally, if you need or would like a homepage, try MyWay. It's banner and ad free, contains no spyware, is fast loading and is free.

Collapse -
Getting rid of AOL for good

Hanaleia, Please do yourself a favor ang get in touch with a customer representitive from AOL. Inform this rep. that you want to drop AOL and all the service charges as of this date. Ask for a written conformation. Do not listen to the upgrade offers. Do yourself a favor and get rid of them no matter how persistant that sales person is from Bombay, India. In case you hear a supervisor in the background coaching the sales person to whom you are talking to, stand your guns and drop AOL.
Just ask for the cancellation notce in writing. The sales person will tell you that you will receive notification in three days from now. Do not hold your breath! That will take two or three weeks but your billing to your credit card will be terminated. Unlike Microsoft Internet Explorer. Those Scum-Bags!!!

Have you done ths already??

Do yourself a favor while dumping AOL. Dump MIE!
Team up with a good provider and use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird.
Wonderful to use. Seems lots are using it lately. Get V7. More updates to follow all the time.
I happen to love it!
AOL and MIE? History!

Just ask our Mod, Toni H. She will give you the facts also. Will help you with XP Prof, as well as updating from a cable modem to a new service providor.
I am a Mac user and use Adelphia.net.

Hanaleia, there is a forum, if you want to get deeper into this subject, that Toni can recommend, here on the CNET forum. Just a bit more technical.
Good luck and say hastalavista to AOL. Good choice.
Stay in touch with this Computer help forum. Once you post to Toni and back, you will like this forum.

-Kevin

Collapse -
HAHAHAHAHAH.....ME give up IE??????

In reply to: Getting rid of AOL for good

Not hardly or even ever in your dreams.

I love IE, I love OE....and use nothing else. I don't like 'branded' versions such as what AOL or MSN throws at you, or some computer vendors, but installed along with the version windows you use is the only way I've traveled for ten years.

I use common sense....never used an antivirus for the first five years; and never used a firewall at all until my new starband satellite modem service required it with XP to give permission to starband before I could travel the net (it would reboot the computer if the firewall was turned off).

I'll be moving to WildBlue in a couple of weeks, and although they require a full antivirus (which I use anyhow for the last five years faithfully), I don't know yet about the firewall issue. In any event, the firewall has a basic configuration and has kept me happy so far without special configuration.

Either I am leading a charmed life, or common sense with specific settings for IE and OE has kept me a happy camper, but I've only been infected with a virus once while working with files for ZDNET a few years back (it was part of the pitfalls of that job that you ran that risk and we all knew it), and my email program with realtime AV coverage notified me once about an infected attachment that was deleted and never opened, and one file I downloaded on the net about a year ago got deleted by my AV program as soon as it completed the download because it was infected.

I get slammed with stupid spam because of other people leaving my email address at sites they go to as a 'friend recommendation' for dumb things because most times I opt out at a site I might be registering at for email stuff from them. I read the fine print at websites faithfully before clicking stuff...most people don't.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I would recommend Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, or Opera....other people are happy with those programs and more power to them. I'm happy with my tried and true...and have had very little issue with either IE or OE to complain about. I get all the updates for both on a regular basis and I don't use any website 'throw away' email addresses like Hotmail or Yahoo or GMail, as I believe all of them are pretty intrusive to my system even with a visit to their sites.

The biggest complaint I have is that so many ISP's are now 'protecting' their customers with overkill....they are stopping emails from coming through if they even suspect that it might be spam; they stop emails from coming through if they don't like the file attachment; they will close your account in a heartbeat without notice if they suspect you are on an infected machine (I think a phone call or at least an email sent to tell you what has happened is in order prior to shutting it down....Adelphia is the company that comes to mind right now). I would prefer to get EVERY piece of mail somebody sends me and give me control over what to do with it again, than have some jerk on an ego trip writing software at the ISP end that makes decisions for me ahead of time. I'm paying for the service.....give me what I've paid for.

TONI

Collapse -
You're no alone!! :)

In reply to: HAHAHAHAHAH.....ME give up IE??????

I've used IE and OE for ever and never have had problems. I do keep XP fully updated and patched. I do believe in Ant-Virus protection (AntiVir) and a firewall (Kerio)... both are free, and unobtrusive. I also have 4 anti-spyware apps. installed, but not running in the background ... manual scans only. A little common sense and caution are also great protection.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.