General discussion

Getting "Not Responding" with various applications

I am very frequently getting on of the following error messages:
"Windows Live Mail (not responding)"
"Microsoft word - non-commercial use (Not responding)"
"Windows Explorer (Not Responding)"
In each case the only way of getting out of the problem is to click the exit button (top right)which then gives a choice of:
1. Restart (the application, not the whole system)
2. Close (the application)
3. Let Windows sort out the problem (never works)
So it's not a drastic problem (so far!)but very annoying

I purchased this computer about 2 months ago:
Windows 7, intel core I5, 4Gb ram, 1 Gb Asus Radeon HD4650
1 TB Sata HDD. Office Home and Student 2010

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Getting "Not Responding" with various applications
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting "Not Responding" with various applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Nothing about anti-virus or anti-malware scaning?
- Collapse -
Security

Perhaps I should have mentioned that all my security is Microsoft
ie Windows firewall
and anti-virus and anti-spyware from Microsoft security Essentials

- Collapse -
RAM issue

A possible cause could be due to lack of free memory available, as too many applications are running. Try and limit the number of applications running at one time.

- Collapse -
Not responding

Thanks for your input Arnesh but I would be very surprised if lack of free memory was the problem as i have 4 Gb Ram and these problems can occur when all i am using is Google and Word or Google and Windows Live Mail.

That was never a problem on my previous computer which had only 500Mb of Ram and a much slower processor.

- Collapse -
Not responding
- Collapse -
Problem solved

Last week I updated to the latest version of Windows Live Essentials
(version 15.4.3502.0922)following a prompt.

The problem has now disappeared

CNET Forums

Forum Info