PC Hardware forum

Question

getting new internal harddrive

by askkak / August 10, 2011 7:35 AM PDT

getting sick of waiting to transfer files to my external hdd, so i am getting an internal hdd, thinking of getting a about 2TB hdd for about £60 any suggestion? brand? i am basically just use it for hd movies, so i guess read/write speed is not important.

if there anything to look for to make sure my it will fit my pc? like sata 1,2, or 3 or ide? how do you check? and they are all physically the same size right?

i got a packardbell imedia a5518, window 7, corsair 450w i think but maybe 550w.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting new internal harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting new internal harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember this does not mean NO BACKUP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:40 AM PDT

I see it should take a 3.5 inch standard SATA drive but you sound like this is storage with NO BACKUP.

Folk learn fast what happens next.
Bob

Collapse -
Remember this does not mean NO BACKUP? ehh?what you mean?
by askkak / August 10, 2011 6:38 PM PDT

i dont really need to back up, btw what you say standard sata, does that mean it doesnt matter with sata1,2 and 3?

Collapse -
SATA jumper
by Willy / August 10, 2011 8:10 PM PDT

Check the device mgr. and then find your current HD, note the model#. Then find the specs on that HD type and duplicate that for your new HD. Regardless, any new HD should have a jumper to match the SATA needs for best operation of 1,2 or 3. Your HD i/f will decide that and NO you can't input the higher setting, it won't be accepted or become problematic. If you like visit the HD brand you plan to buy and find specs and what it all details, etc..

Collapse -
Rarely matters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 1:08 AM PDT

I've tried all 3 types on all three interfaces and it doesn't feel much different from one to the next. Yes the benchmarks show a little more where you suspect but if anyone writes it's so much faster you begin to wonder.

You can over analyze or you could install a new drive and use it.
Bob

Collapse -
ata
by askkak / August 11, 2011 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Rarely matters.

it say it is a ata device which i check device manager, does that mean it will fit with sata hdd?

Collapse -
Well ATA is one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: ata

That's the software protocol and commands over some physical interface.

What I did was look at the packardbell imedia a5518 and find out what physical connections it had. I'm guessing no one else did that given the replies so far (sorry if that upsets anyone.)

As to your question, it would confuse most if I wrote the answer so I should not answer that. I hope this does not upset you. I'm a little lost as to why you don't open the side panel and look.

ATA is used on both PATA and SATA interfaces:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Bob

Collapse -
device info
by Willy / August 11, 2011 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ata

Since you're using Win7, it will report X-model#. Now, you look or google for that same model# and it ID's 100% what it is. You then match or find compatible HD. I would think that's a simple process of comparison. No guessing, you now what you have and need to look for. Otherwise, open case and have HD "in hand" and locate decal/sticker and then find similar.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.