Computer Help forum

General discussion

getting new computer...need help transfering MP3's

by vince0501 / November 3, 2003 5:15 AM PST

I am getting a new computer, the old computer is going to my daughter. I would like to transfer my MP3 files to the new computer. What is the easiest way? I have seen some migration software, but seems somewhat unstable. Have seen the new USB flash memories, wondering if those are an appropriate option? Any other suggestions appreciated???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting new computer...need help transfering MP3's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting new computer...need help transfering MP3's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:getting new computer...need help transfering MP3's
by David Chan / November 3, 2003 5:40 AM PST

Your MP3 files will easily occupy several hundred megabytes of disk space if not more.

So the USB Flash Memory would be impractical.

There are several methods:

1. Burn the mp3 files onto CD-Rs which IMO is the best method as it also provides a backup for safe keeping. Then you can copy them over to the new PC.

2. When you have the new PC set up a network between the two and copy over the files from Old PC~New PC over the network.
How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition
Introduction to Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking

3. If you want to transfer both your files and customized settings, emails, favorites etc. from the old PC to the new PC you can run the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard on the old PC and restore the backup onto the new PC.
FILE & SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

4. Pull the old HD and slave it to the new PC and directly copy over all your files.

HTP

Collapse -
by Dale Johnston / November 3, 2003 2:49 PM PST

Why not burn them onto DVD or CD as data files, not audio so they stay as mp3? You should be doing this for backup purposes anyway. Happy

Collapse -
by vince0501 / November 3, 2003 11:24 PM PST

thanks for the replies. I should clarify my situation.
Most of my mp3 files were recorded from my personal CD collection. I was trying to find a way to simply transfer those files to the new computer in bulk, to avoid transferring each track individually to the new computer. Following the earlier suggestion, I have burned to CD, the tracks that I do not have hard copies of. (legally purchased, by the way). One question, brought on by an earlier reply. What is the difference in burning the music as a data file, rather than an audio? Does that just mean it wont play on a CD player??

Collapse -
Re:Re:getting new computer...need help transfering MP3's
by vrover / November 4, 2003 1:28 AM PST

Basically, burning mp3s as an audio CD enables you to play them on a CD player, but burning them as a data CD burns the files, not the playable tracks. To recap, burning them as an audio CD would be a good idea if you wanted to assemble a custom music CD, and burning them as a data CD would be a good idea if, as you are asking, you wanted to transfer some mp3s.

Collapse -
by gpetz / November 27, 2004 5:48 AM PST

Let me clarify your message. Can one transfer mp3 files from one computer to another by burning them as data files onto a cd and then putting that CD in the other computer and having it put the mp3 files on it's hard drive, where they will then play?
If that's the case it would work for me. MY old computer will not burn audio files but will burn data files.

Collapse -
by goomba271 / November 27, 2004 2:35 PM PST

I'm not a computer expert so take this with a grain of salt... I burned many CDs from music collection stored on my hard drive. Typically, I would be able to put approximately 80 minutes of music on a 700mb disc. Someone finally told me to burn music as "data" file rather than "audio" file and I can now burn several hours of music (over a hundred songs) on the same discs. They won't play on a standard CD player - only on a "MP3 compatable" player. I have had no problem loading those same discs on my CD drive and playing with Windows Media Player configured to recognize MP3 files. I set my Windows Media Player to "shuffle" mode and can listen to hours of music off a single disc in random order. The same discs also play perfectly in a portable disc player and a car player - both MP3 compatable. I can also transfer those MP3 files from disc to my hard drive. Apparently, "audio" files are converted to a different format when burned while "data" files remain as MP3 files. MP3 files are slightly "clipped" more or less depending on the file size and data density. I generally notice little, if any, degradation of sound quality. Please try this with one or two files and make sure it will work on your system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.