HolidayBuyer's Guide

Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

getting half loading pages here

by Mark G / March 23, 2004 7:17 PM PST

most every forum slow plus half page loads says done:(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting half loading pages here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting half loading pages here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Haphazard processing.
by Cursorcowboy / March 23, 2004 10:45 PM PST

Haven't seen that, but as I stated in a forum "thread" earlier about the progress bar acting strangely, I've observed the completeness of page load by constantly pressing the key combination Ctrl+End as a page is rendered and it appears there is a possible situation that has to do with either recent changes to things that load at the bottom of the page.

Collapse -
Re:getting half loading pages here
by Rolway / March 24, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Same problem here Mark. Heading loads, then its 1-3 minutes before messages load. Sometimes they never load. Other times it sails right in.

Geo.

Collapse -
This slow down is puzzling our engineers--need help here
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 24, 2004 5:29 AM PST

How often would you say this occurs during your forum visit?

Everytime you visit the forums?
Once every hour?

let me know your experience... the more info I know the more I can pass on.

thanks!

Collapse -
Re:This slow down is puzzling our engineers--need help here

Hi Lee

How often would you say this occurs during your forum visit?

Everytime you visit the forums?
Once every hour?

Out of 10 times - I have 9 times only the "header" in the page and the rest is blanc. It already starts with logging in. It is all day ! I'm on cable and it sure takes a long time before the rest of page loads. Only one time out of 10 the page loads immediately.

Collapse -
by Mark G / March 24, 2004 8:07 PM PST

its intermitant and never same time:( plus useing diferent computers dosnt make a diference

Collapse -
Re:Re:This slow down is puzzling our engineers--need help here
by Mark G / March 24, 2004 8:09 PM PST

and as i just got in to here to reply it hung at half page replying took some time, cable here also

Collapse -
by John Robie / March 25, 2004 2:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Compare the speeds between these two
by James Denison / March 25, 2004 3:35 PM PST

Compare the download times of these two pages. Which one is fastest? Empty memory and drive cache first before timing each link to make it fair. You can check the html in View Source and see the differences. Run both pages thru the validator at http://validator.w3.org/ and see what the results are. You may have to manually set it for HTML 4.01 Transitional and character set ISO 8859-1.
The pages were the same content at the time I originally did this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=16903&messageID=186286

http://pages.prodigy.net/gbhs/cnet_test2.html

Collapse -
Just noticed a similar anomaly loading FB, 11:15am CMT.
by Cursorcowboy / March 26, 2004 1:20 AM PST

All morning, since about 06:00am, the page rendering -- whether any forum or a thread opened in a new window, still displays haphazardly; some pop right up, others seem to hang for several seconds, 10-20. I still see the hangs using the key combinations Ctrl+End - happening more so from those items loading at the bottom of the page(s) - some pop right in, others drag but they're so fast, can't tell. I'm not sure whether something is in effect on my Win98FE/MSIEv5.02SP1 that causes the delays but it would appear that if there was, the anomaly would happen only once and not repetitiously while at the same forum. I cannot concern a given pattern whatsoever.

The only other anomaly that has started is the login. Sometimes, the username and password window pops up and other times the entire registration window itself.

Collapse -
Re: This slow down is puzzling our engineers--need help here

Hi, Lee.

I use Netscape, and I rarely if ever see this behavior. The only time I see unexpected slows is ocassionally when previewing a message during the posting process; stopping, refreshing, and previewing again almost always fixes the problem. So maybe it's somehow MSIE-specific?
-- Dave K.

Collapse -
No problem here ever in AM or PM..EST...Using IE....Cable.........NT
by MzLee / March 26, 2004 1:01 AM PST

Collapse -
Engineers are getting together to see what possiblities there are...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 26, 2004 2:56 AM PST

in regards to this problem... so hang in there. We will have to eventually get to the bottom of this.

For now enjoy the forum search which I just implemented on the Main forum page.

-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks for the Search Function Lee. [nt]

Collapse -
Re:Engineers are getting together to see what possiblities there are...

I logged on at approximately 06:00a.m. CMT and it's now 7:20. I progressed from the forums Help, Newbies, IE, and now at Win95/98.

I haven't seen the forum acting so haphazardly in displaying a page -- either the main forum or opening a message in a new window.

Using Win98FE, MSIE v5.01SP2, cable. The TIF and extraneous Cookies was purged yesterday.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:Re:Engineers are getting together to see what possiblities there are...

Similiar experience here with partial page loading with long waits for completion. Like you I cleaned my system last night of TIF and cookies.

Slow as molasses!

Glenn

Collapse -
NT - Yep. Definitely worse today seems like.

Collapse -
(NT) Navigating the forums today is the "pits"! :(
SadSad
Collapse -
Glenn, Mark G. email me please I need your help
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 29, 2004 1:32 AM PST

email: messageboards@cnet.com

I will need your assistance in this slow down problem.

Thanks guys,
-Lee

Collapse -
Re:Glenn, Mark G. email me please I need your help
by Mark G / March 29, 2004 9:42 AM PST

mails sent sir Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.