HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Getting frequency of identifier

by prasadp77 / November 22, 2005 6:30 AM PST

I have a sheet containing 30 columns of identifiers (lets call them names). I want to have frequency of every name appearing in the columns, All columns are of different lengths.
In other words, is it possible to compare all these 30 columns at once and get an output as name of identifier and its frequency?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting frequency of identifier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting frequency of identifier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this in Excel Spreadsheet?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2005 7:48 AM PST

If so, try this function;

=COUNTIF(A1:B39,''Fred'')

This will count the number of times Fred, (or fred), appears in columns A and B, from rows 1 to 39.

It displays the number of times the word appears.

Any help?

Mark

Collapse -
There are MANY identifiers
by prasadp77 / November 24, 2005 7:57 PM PST

Hi mark,

Your formula is perfect if I want to get a fequency of certain 'known' identifier. My columns are long, more than 100 and 30 such columns. May be only 90 appear in all 30 columns but then I have to get list of unique identifiers in all columns and use your formula no. of unique identifiers time.

Still this serves good but any other quick solution (as I have more than 20 such sheets)

Collapse -
Seems like Excel is the wrong tool here,
by Kees Bakker / November 24, 2005 8:06 PM PST

unless you want to do some VBA programming.

Kees

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees Bakker / November 24, 2005 8:33 PM PST

one of the problems seems to be that the values to be identified (and counted) aren't in one column, but in thirty. Still, you might be inspired by http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

But, somehow, this seems more like an MS Access type of database application than an Excel one.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree with Kees
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 25, 2005 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: And ...

You're tending towards a database management requirement here, not a spreadsheet, and although I still can't quite get a handle on what you are trying to do, I also feel that Access would be the better application.

I'm absolutely no good with Access or any other database.

Kees link is good though, an array formula. I've used them myself but have to keep reading up each time I need one.

But I reckon Access is the way to go.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.