Question

Getting files from a broken Mac

Hi there, I've busted
my old macbook L
and the only piece that survived is the hard drive. I purchased cables and hooked
up the HD to the new macbook that I just bought. But somehow I cannot see some of the files on
the old hard drive, for instance the photos that were only saved in iphoto I cannot
find on HD, or files that were saved on desktop I cannot find either. Does any
one know how can I retrieve those files/pictures from the old HD without bringing
it to the apple store.

Cheers!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Getting files from a broken Mac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting files from a broken Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
It would be nice if you were to tell us

just what you can see and how you have it connected.

- Collapse -
re:t would be nice if you were to tell us

I used SATA cable to get connected, no I cannot see iPhoto Library on the drive even if I run search in finder it cannot find photo/file that I know is there. I wasn't able to see desktop items, I was looking for folders that were saved on my desktop but couldn't find them. I can see the user folder but it is empty.
Also, I tried to boot computed with the old HD it just gave me a black screen (looked like DOS). thanks!!!

- Collapse -
A SATA cable?

How was this connected to your new Macbook, there is no eSATA connection on the Macbook, and how was it powered?

- Collapse -
re:t would be nice if you were to tell us

SATA to USB adapter....got all the files back with Data Rescue 3

- Collapse -
Nice one.

Theoretically, that disk should have mounted on the desktop and allowed you to move all the files that you had been using over to the new machine.

- Collapse -
Answer
If you were running the latest Snow Leopard,

you could try to boot your new mac from your old HDD.

- Collapse -
boot new mac with old HD

...thanks Ziptie, I tried, it gave me a black screed and nothing else :/

- Collapse -
(NT) What OS is on your old HDD?
- Collapse -
re: What OS is on your old HDD

it was 10.5 leopard

- Collapse -
Your new mac will not boot to Leopard
- Collapse -
re: Your new mac will not boot to Leopard

that's the adapter I've got but paid about $25 at tigerdirect...btw got all my files back had to run Data Rescue 3 to recover all of them Blush

- Collapse -
Answer
A rough way, but it works

When I fixed a MacBook pro recently how I saved the Hard Drive, I hooked up externally by an External USB hard drive enclousure. But sounds like you already got that. when starting up the old hard drive connected to another Mac through USB or Firewire, you can hold down the option key at the gray screen. You will have the boot disc options (this is how boot camp works) you can boot off the internal hard drive or an external one. You can transfer the files to the internal drive from the finder window or back up the files using time machine. This might work.

- Collapse -
anoother thing to try

Another thing is too when you plug it in you can run a disk utility on it, that might fix a few things too.

CNET Forums