Getting DV unto PC without Firewire

I have an old SONY Camcorder using digital tapes as recording media I used to transfer the DV on the tapes to the PC/Laptop via Firewire, and Video editing soft ware converts the DV into DVD files and creates DVDs. I still have the 'Firewire' wire but now my computers do not have the Firewire port. My question - How do I transfer the DV on the tapes to my PC without Firewire ? Or any "workaround"....or a gadget which can connect to the Camcorder and burn a DVD...or can otherwise connect to the PC via, e.g. USB to get the DV unto the PC ? To simplify, what can I do with the output video signal on a Firewire connected to a Camcorder ( s concerns getting the DV unto the PC).


Discussion is locked
Reply to: Getting DV unto PC without Firewire
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting DV unto PC without Firewire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
The gadget is getting pricey.

Here's the DVDIRECT which for quite a bit of change gets it onto DVD or other which you put into the PC's DVD or BR drive.

And again, there has never been a working Firewire to USB cable.

- Collapse -
Depends on the computer you have

Many desktop or tower computers have available PCI slots. Many laptops have an ExperssCard slot - older laptops may have a PCMCIA slot. These expansion slots can use a Firewire card providing the desired connectivity.

Some newer computers have a Thunderbolt port (more common in Apple computers). There is a Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter that works great.

If your computers have no expansion slot and no Thunderbolt port, then there is another option to get the video into the computer (in addition to Bob's suggestion)... using an "Analog/Digital converter" that is external to the computer.

Elgato and Black Magic Design (Intensity Shuttle) make them - so do a lot of others. Some call them "capture cards". The short version is that the camcorder's AV-out (not firewire) connects to to the A/D converter's AV-in; the A/D converter connects to the computer's USB port. Rewind the tape in the camcorder, launch the video editor in the computer, start capturing in the computer, press play on the camcorder...

CNET Forums