General discussion

Getting data from interntal hard drive removed from computer

My desktop computer died and I have removed the internal hard drive with the hope of transferring that data on to my portable hard drive. Is there a product out there I can buy that will allow me to plug the internal hard drive into it then transfer it to my portable hard drive?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Getting data from interntal hard drive removed from computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting data from interntal hard drive removed from computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: drive

There are 2 things you can buy:
1. A case for an external drive (connects to your USB). Details depend on it being SATA or IDE 3.5" (IDE 2.5" is used in laptop), because it must have right connections and size. An externally powered on (with a power adaptor, so not on USB-power) is recommended.
2. A STA-IDE to USB cable.

The first is the best if you plan to use this drive (or any drive) in the future. A cable is OK if it's for one time use. It doesn't protect the drive for later use.

Once the drive is connected it's like you get an "access denied" error on certain files. Then find out how to TAKE OWNERSHIP using the OS on the computer it's connected to.

Kees

- Collapse -
Getting data from interntal hard drive removed from computer

Hi Kees,

Would you happen to know the name of a product or two that can do this? Thanks for your quick reply on that initial post!

- Collapse -
Re: products

Let me first correct a typo: it should be SATA/IDE to USB cable.

For both gadgets I just picked the first good google hit to give you an idea. If you have a local computershop, you can try there also, of course. Any other Internet-shop would be OK also. As I said, this is just to give you an idea.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ASATA%20hard%20disk%20enclosure&page=1

There's no obvious quality difference between different brands. If it works, it works.

Kees

- Collapse -
Possible device

Google for ADA-2020 adapter. This has worked for me. If you mean by "portable" as in laptop, you will need to explain that. Othwerwise, connect adapter setup from old HD, then to system. If you mean yet another ext. HD as being portable, retrieve from saved folder(on another system) rather than swapping from adapter to ext. HD, it would be slow otherwsie, but the choice is yours.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I agree with Kees_B...esp suggestion 1

"1. A case for an external drive (connects to your USB). Details depend on it being SATA or IDE 3.5" (IDE 2.5" is used in laptop), because it must have right connections and size. An externally powered on (with a power adaptor, so not on USB-power) is recommended."

It will help you get the data you want off the drives and allow you to use the device thereafter for secondary or portable storage.

VAPCMD

CNET Forums

Forum Info