PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Getting/Building new desktop

by jc2545 / April 14, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

Hello and thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

My old (60G IDE) hard drive pooped out over the weekend and its time to get a new pc. This computer functioned as the main home pc for e-mails, internet, documents, etc, and I also like to play FPS games like CoD4 and CoD5. I'm not into the really high end graphic games like Far Cry or some others I've heard about. My system was about 7 years old, with one of the first AMD64 3000+ processors, a once upgraded nVidea GeForce 7600 vid card, and about 2G of ram. Not much, but the system suited my needs. My OS was Windows XP Home SP2. So, that's what the new computer will need to be able to accomplish.

I realize that almost all computers available now will far surpass what I had. My wish is to be able to do all my old tasks and games, but also have the ability to upgrade at a later date as games and programs progress and require more memory, speed, etc., while at the same time not breaking the bank. I have a wife and a 16 y/o at home that get most of my budget. Happy The top end of my budget for this PC is about $1000.

I would prefer to stay with XP because that's what I'm comfortable with, but I realize that may not be a realistic option. I've heard some talk but haven't had time to really read about Windows 7, so if anyone has any opinions on it I'd be happy to listen.

So, what I'm looking for is pros/cons of Intel vs AMD, Radeon vs nVidea, how big of a hard drive, power supply options, how much cooling is needed, etc.

Again, thanks in advance for any constructive ideas or suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Getting/Building new desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Getting/Building new desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here's a recent guide
by ramarc / April 14, 2009 6:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Some stuff
by Viperdude1234 / April 15, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

Well.. ill throw in my two cents, it may be helpful in some way.

Lately, Intel has taken over by storm. Their processors have the best benchmarks, and dollar for dollar, out perform AMD so far as i have seen. If you are into gaming, id suggest grabbing a quadcore, or possibly an I7. The quads are getting cheaper, and they can really perform. Vista 7 should be optomized to run on as many cores as you caon provide, so might as well do it.

As for graphics, besides the 4780, it seems like Nvidia has ATI beat, so id suggest going for a 9800gt or something similar.. You can pick those up for ~$150ish and they will play most new games ok, even Crysis on medium settings.

As for Hard drive: 250 is pretty standard now in desktops, you can pick up a terabyte for $99 now days, so id recommend around a 500g. Things are getting bigger, and extra space is always nice to have.

As for ram, its dependant on your system, between ddr2/ddr3, its pricing and performance really. As for amount of ram, if you insist on XP, stick with 2gigs, all you really need.

Powersupply: Stick with name brands here.. If you were to grab a system like i mentioned above, a 650w+ would be decent. PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Thermaltake, all have really nice PSUs.

You can stick with XP if you like, you can snag an OEM of home edition for 99.99. Personally, id say hold out if you can, maybe linux it for a bit. Windows 7 is coming, and its pretty promising, id try to hold out for it. You could download the beta, and try that for a while.

A system like i described above averages around $800-$1200. Depending on what you want..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.