Computer Help forum

General discussion

getting booted out of programs

by bucky235 / June 30, 2004 11:07 PM PDT

running Windows ME, keep getting booted out of programs and back to the desktop...the programs keep running...it's as if I've clicked outside of the program, dig? Playing a full screen game will boot me back to the desktop with the game still running, typing away at a Word document and will suddenly be outside of the program...d/l Ad-aware per someone's suggestion, mostly cookies and "Wild Tangent" files...deleted everything but Wild Tangent, isn't it a video driver or something?

Also, I found a program running but I can't find what it is...the file name is "Ncijcjbd" and it's in my system folder. ? Is there a website I can go to to look up these unknown programs to see what they are?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: getting booted out of programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: getting booted out of programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: getting booted out of programs (and have parasites)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 11:46 PM PDT

Frankly, as long as you allow spyware on a machine, my outlook and prognosis is that such a machine isn't going to be that great an experience.

The spyware/parasite invasion seems to have reached the fevered pitch of email spam. BUT you do need IE working to use Windows Update, so let's try the usual.

1. Read the following link about parasites. Use the full complement of pest detection and removal tools and keep LSPFIX handy in case a bug has tampered with the Layered Service Provider. The set includes Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall.

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

2. Windows ME is DOS based and has some 64 thousand byte resource pools that are not expandable. Spyware eats into this precious resource and oddities will happen. Rebooting is common with these older OSes, but you can help the machine by ejecting all pests and reading the Optimizing Windows (then using it!) from

http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm

Bob

Collapse -
Re: getting booted out of programs
by Mark G / July 1, 2004 12:00 AM PDT

i bet you install aim/aol games as thats where alot get wild tangent its spyware get rid of it

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 1, 2004 12:44 AM PDT
I found a program running but I can't find what it is...the file name is "Ncijcjbd" and it's in my system folder

Perhaps "Starter" a free startup manager that allows you to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever Windows boots. It lists all the hidden registry entries, as well as the common Startup Folder items, so that you may be able to further identify information pertaining to your request.
Collapse -
by bucky235 / July 1, 2004 4:55 AM PDT

Thanks for all of your help. I don't download games anymore due to previous grief and frankly, I'm not interested in downloading anything free for the same reason.

I've interacted with you before, Mr. Proffit, and I don't intentionally allow spyware on my machine. I would like to remove it all, of course. As to this mysterious program, how do I find out if it is a required program for the normal operation of my computer or if perhaps it is the program that is causing me difficulties? If it's unnecessary then I'd like to delete it. I've tried anyway and I get a message saying that I can't delete it because windows is currently using it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Collapse -
Buck, If You Want To Delete The File...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

....a couple of different methods should get the job done. Restart the computer into "Safe Mode", then navigate to the file and manually delete it. If the file is still locked, try using the "MoveOnBoot" program from the link below:

http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html

If that still doesn't get it done, restart the computer to a DOS prompt using the WinME boot floppy, then use DOS commands to delete the file in the folder where it resides.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?