General discussion

Getting blank screen after Windows Logo Screen appears

my parents have a used emachine T1742, 1.7 GHz Celeron proc. once the windows logo screen pops up, a blank screen appears. figured it was normal, waited for a minute or two and nothing happened. on sunday my brother bought a new webcam, so i went to control panel and removed the old webcam and its software. thats when the computer started having problems. first, when it rebooted, the screen looked like it was in safe mode. rebooted a couple of times, but still the same thing. then turned off the computer at the powerstrip. since then, thats when i've been getting the blank screen after the windows logo screen appears. one more thing, when the screen looked like it was in safe mode, tried to change resolution. instead of seeing 16bit, 32bit, etc., i saw 4bit. i've never seen that before. computer still runs after windows logo screen, and the blank screen appear, just can't see anything. don't know what to do. any help on this would be greatly appreaciated. thx

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Getting blank screen after Windows Logo Screen appears
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Getting blank screen after Windows Logo Screen appears
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What OS

If XP, you may be able to interrupt the startup and do a system retore. This will be done by pressing F8 after the hardware initializes and before the Windows logo appears. If you have another OS, post back but do try safe mode to see if it works there.

- Collapse -
Re: OS

Sorry about that, forgot to post that. the OS is XP.

- Collapse -
Thx!

tried what you had suggested. booted up in safe mode, and was able to do a system restore. thanks, Steven.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nice to hear a success once in a while:-)

CNET Forums

Forum Info