Windows 10 forum

Question

Get Windows 10 in Systray now

by 1Chris / June 1, 2015 2:23 AM PDT

Then it prompts to "Reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 now."

What are they doing this for?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get Windows 10 in Systray now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get Windows 10 in Systray now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's in the news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2015 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's in the news
by Shepbob / June 3, 2015 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: It's in the news.

Bob: I have a Toshiba Satellite A105. that was given to me a year or so ago. Win 7 Pro. It has all the updates loaded, included KB3035583. I don't get the icon in the task bar to apply for win 10. The system page says says it is a legal copy and is registered. It does say it is an OEM operating system. Could this be that I will not get a free upgrade?

Collapse -
there should be a sticker
by renegade600 / June 3, 2015 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: It's in the news

there should be a sticker somewhere on your laptop that says what windows version actually came with your computer. If it is not win7 pro oem as you said is installed, then there is a chance it is not legal in spite of what it says on your system page. If this is the case you may not get a win10 update. If it is the same, then based on what you said, you should get an upgrade.

Collapse -
there should be a sticke
by Shepbob / June 3, 2015 8:38 AM PDT

That is probly the problem. The sticker says XP PRO. Thanks for your reply.

Bob

Collapse -
I think this offer
by James Denison / June 3, 2015 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: It's in the news

is only for Home editions, not the Pro.

Collapse -
Answer
Free, that's why
by Willy / June 1, 2015 2:38 AM PDT

Under that banner a stampede will happen unless controlled to a degree. Further, it reduces the support field in the futu re at least in theory or deployed marketing theory. hehe...

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Oh, now I get it
by 1Chris / June 1, 2015 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Free, that's why

You're committed to it once you do this.

I pledge allegiance to the Window and to the monopoly for which it stands...wait a minute, is this the new NSA? I wouldn't doubt, 'in the interest of national security', the regime...I mean the nice government is putting something 'special' in our software - just to keep everyone safe :-()

Collapse -
If you must do this, you may want to pass or move up to Pro
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2015 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, now I get it
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss details a little more why some may want the Pro or higher version.

Microsoft's track record is horrible on updates. And they don't seem to mind when a few machines crater on updates.

-> Maybe you need to consider Linux or another OS. Or why not stick with what you have?
Bob
Collapse -
Oh great, another nag screen
by James Denison / June 1, 2015 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, now I get it

I still have one on an XP computer telling me how awful it now has become and to upgrade, etc. I rarely use it anymore, prefering Linux Mint now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.