Computer Help forum

General discussion

Get square monitor to letterbox

by jjiceman / February 14, 2010 1:16 PM PST

Hi, I have a square (4:3) Sony plug-and-play monitor and I would like to have letterboxes on the top and bottom of the picture, turning into a widescreen monitor. I make video tutorials and would like to start doing them in widescreen 1280x720. I have an ATI Radeon graphics card with 512 MB memory.

Any help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get square monitor to letterbox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get square monitor to letterbox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't think it can be done, unless...
by ahtoi / February 14, 2010 3:20 PM PST

the monitor has an hdmi connection. I also think your player should display the video in whatever format the video is. I believed that's how the VLC media player work. My guess is that you are not getting that. Waht player do you use?

Collapse -
I'm Looking for 19" SQUARE FORMAT computer monitors
by Markymarc / May 4, 2010 11:09 PM PDT

Can anyone help me find out where to purchase a good 19 inch computer monitor that is square (not letterbox) either new or used. They all seem to have disappeared from the market place. Thanks.
Marc Martin

Collapse -
I looked on ebay
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2010 11:31 PM PDT

And there are too many there.

Doesn't seem to have vanished yet.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.