Samsung forum

General discussion

Get rid of "PC" as an available option. UN46B7100

by chaley0803 / January 14, 2010 6:27 AM PST

UN46B7100. So when you have something plugged in, say a PS3 its shows up as that port being used and available when the PS3 is turned on. I had my PC hooked up to the TV - so the PC "channel" was available and highlighted. My PC crashed and it is no longer hooked up, but the PC "channel" remains highlighted and available. How do I get rid of it? I have tried plugging a VGA cable and just taking out to no avail. Not so much a big deal, just a little annoying.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get rid of "PC" as an available option. UN46B7100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get rid of "PC" as an available option. UN46B7100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2010 8:15 AM PST

chaley0803,

I can appreciate your frustration, but there's actually a reason the PC input is an 'always on' connection.

Last year, the only way for the PC input to enable was to have a pin configuration in the D-Sub (15 pin) monitor cable that grounded, and essentially allowed the computer to tell the television, "Hey, video input signal here! Coming through!". Well, many different manufacturers had different pin configurations, and no standard was set. So certain models of computers and video cards needed to either update the video card or the computer's BIOS - obviously an unpopular choice "just to see video" for many of our customers.

I would answer or help troubleshoot at least one of those a week in 2008, and since the 2009 models have the PC input as an "always on" connection, I've seen few - if any - problems this year regarding 15-pin computer connection issues.

So both the internal tuner, and the PC input are "always on" connections in the Source Menu. I don't know of any way of toggling that option off, unfortunately.

I realize that doesn't give a solution for your situation, but does that help explain a little?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by chaley0803 / January 14, 2010 8:32 AM PST

I could be wrong, but I thought that when I first turned on the TV the PC "channel" was not available. It did not become available until I hooked up the PC. Other than that, TV is great! I'm finding that hooking the TV up with HDMI from the computer to the TV is working better than VGA. Is that typical?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 23, 2010 2:05 PM PST

chaley0803,

I'm pretty sure that on the 2009 models that the PC input is on, but I don't have an out-of-the-box unit to test this on.

HDMI would offer a better picture quality based on the fact that the signal remains an all-digital signal, rather than a digital signal-to analog-to digital signal that the PC cable would send.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.