Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Get ready for an expensive trip to the grocery store.

I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that gasoline prices jumped up to the same price I was paying at the middle of last summer... this at the end of March! It makes me shudder to think what gas prices will be this summer in July.

Of course the cost of gas will also effect any commodity transported by truck from supplier to store. The regional speciality here, pepperoni rolls, have gone up by close to a dollar per package over the past 3 years... partially attributable to the cost of gas.

Now, Nature has shown its' ugly side with the recent burst of freezing weather... You're especially in trouble if you like fresh fruit!

Cold snap damages fruit crops across Southeast

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- Frigid weekend weather caused frost that damaged crops across the Southeast, raising fears that peach, apple, blueberry, strawberry and wine grape crops were harmed.

Cost estimates for the damage were expected later in the week, and Georgia's agriculture commissioner said he might ask for federal aid depending on how badly crops were affected.

"We know there is a significant amount of damage through most of the state, but it's too early to give what the final analysis will be," said Tommy Irvin, Georgia's agriculture chief.

In West Virginia, Alan Gibson's apple orchard had suffered early season weather damage from hail. After three days of freezing temperatures, he predicted a total loss on the 3,000 trees in his small, pick-your-own orchard in Harpers Ferry.

Growers from West Virginia to North Carolina to Texas spent the weekend trying to save their crops as temperatures dipped into the 20s.

Not only will it cost more to get produce to the market this year... but there will be less of it. Much of the damage was because many crops had brought on young budding leaves during the unseasonably warm weather we had earlier in the year (or so local radio here in WV said this morning).

Anyway you look at it... buying fresh food looks to be getting more and more expensive for a variety of reasons. This might just be the time to consider putting in a good size garden this year. If for no other reason than to get into the practice of growing your own food since it may not be too far off... when you need a bank loan to get that shiny red WV apple or that sweet Georgia peach!

grim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Get ready for an expensive trip to the grocery store.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Get ready for an expensive trip to the grocery store.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And don't forget milk!

In reply to: Get ready for an expensive trip to the grocery store.

Collapse -
Getting corn from all the wrong places

In reply to: And don't forget milk!

Instead of taking corn away from animal feed to make ethanol, they should be taking it away from the food they feed us. That would make the soda and candy and fruit drinks, etc. instead of the good food like milk, cheese, meat, etc.

Diana

Collapse -
Of course, Diana...

In reply to: Getting corn from all the wrong places

Of course, Diana, after corn is used to make ethanol, the left over substance is quite valuable as an animal feed. It's called "distillers dried grains with solubles" or DDGS.
An interesting statement about this substance from a web site about it says "What is the nutrient analysis of DDGS?
A rule of thumb for the nutrient analysis of DDGS is that it is approximately three times the nutrient analysis of corn.".
Here's a link to that site: http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_12.html

Collapse -
Ah,, corn

I read local farmers are already planting corn to replace in some cases other corps as corn is now more cost effective. Meaning, corn will pay for itself and get a profit. remember some crops are rotated and a field can be fallow for a yr. in order to regenerate itself. The extra corn will be sold to the ethanol plants and it won't be "extra corn" after several years it will be the std. supply once it all gets sorted out. You can't blame the farmer for a profit when little was had before. Corn, is in itself a very divertised product which can be used in products people don't realize that goes beyond food stuffs. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Absolutely! We need a government program to decide what food

we should produce and eat. Then, we'll live long, healthy lives and enjoy our freedom to the fullest.

Collapse -
In the future, we'll be using the corn for food

and using the rest of the plant for ethanol production.

Collapse -
All too often

All you mentioned will be attributed to the cost of any delivered goods. I have such costs myself when I ask the local supplier for me what if any will fertilizer cost my corn being delivered, plus the delivery itself. So far, because of the yrs. being with and close relationship it has been minimal, but never-the-less part of the overall cost, so far I haven't passed on that cost. There are other goods that get delivered and a "surcharge" is placed no matter what amount I get. It should get lower and replaced but it hasn't. So some suppliers I do refrain from buying from until essential. Even then, I may strike a deal as to what can be had or whatever to better the costs as I'm a small store owner it doesn't hurt to ask. I may go and get it myself as the surcharge plus doing other buying while in the area and immediate return pays for itself or makes it worthwhile. Too bad, that I have to really nickel and dime myself as such to maintain a certain cost level to my customers as they expect it. But, the day will come for an overall price increase on some products we make.

small business -----Willy Sad

Collapse -
The increasing price of corn

In reply to: All too often

Collapse -
No. Ethanol does NOT require corn...

In reply to: The increasing price of corn

Ethanol can be made from a variety of plants. In Brazil, where ethanol is in wide use it is made from sugar cane, which is far nore efficient a source than corn. The corn lobby in the US is pushing the corn/ethanol connection for all its worth, for obvious reasons.

Collapse -
RE: it is made from sugar cane

In reply to: No. Ethanol does NOT require corn...

Ya' got any?

You work with what ya' got.

Collapse -
My point is, there are other crops that could be used...

In reply to: RE: it is made from sugar cane

It's a matter of identifying and planting them.

IF ethanol is deemed to be worth the hassle. I'm not sure it is.

Collapse -
Better for corn than sugar cane

Corn can be grown in more spaces in the USA than sugar cane. Besides the current crop, more is already being planted to increase overall corn yields. Being a cash crop certainly helps and its more easier to handle corn vs. sugar cane. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
It doesn't have pot be one or teh other..

In reply to: Better for corn than sugar cane

Ethanol can be made from potatoes, beets, all kinds of other things. The point is that corn is not the most efficient crop to use by a long shot.

Personally I think this is much more about selling more corn and jacking the price up than rational energy policy.

Collapse -
Consider vodka...

In reply to: It doesn't have pot be one or teh other..

Consider vodka, a great deal of it is made from wheat. Russian vodka tends to be made of wheat, while a lot of Polish vodka is made from rye.

Collapse -
Consider also, that ethanol produced from crops...

In reply to: It doesn't have pot be one or teh other..

is not an efficient fuel. As of now it takes more energy to produce than it yields. The only reason it can be considered an efficient energy source at all is because it is subsidized by the government.

LINK

Although Pimentel advocates the use of burning biomass to produce thermal energy (to heat homes, for example), he deplores the use of biomass for liquid fuel. "The government spends more than $3 billion a year to subsidize ethanol production when it does not provide a net energy balance or gain, is not a renewable energy source or an economical fuel. Further, its production and use contribute to air, water and soil pollution and global warming," Pimentel says. He points out that the vast majority of the subsidies do not go to farmers but to large ethanol-producing corporations.

So the whole thing is suspect, at least as the technology stands now.

TANSTAAFL

Collapse -
Speaking of other ethanol sources...

Fruit-based fuel could beat out corn-based rival.

>> Research finds fructose can make higher-energy gas than ethanol

A simple sugar found in fruit and a variety of other sources could be converted to fuel for cars and trucks. University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers said last week they have found a better way of converting fructose, a common sugar, into a fuel called 2,5-dimethylfuran, or DMF. The biofuel has a higher energy content than ethanol, the only renewable liquid fuel currently produced on a large scale. It also doesn't absorb water from the atmosphere, a shortcoming of ethanol, said James Dumesic, one of the researchers and a professor of chemical and biological engineering at the university. <<

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
But...

In reply to: Speaking of other ethanol sources...

what kind of engine will it ruin in? C an you use it in an unmodified gasoline engine as most US cars now have, or a modified gas engine, or perhaps a diesel? Or does a new kind of engine have to be produced?

These are all things that influence whether it's a usable idea or just another blind alley, as corn-derived ethanol is turning out to be.

Also, what's the deal with emissions?

Collapse -
Don't have to worry about that

In reply to: But...

Ethanol (myth) is now a new federal program and it will never go away.

Collapse -
(NT) and the bees are dieing

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.