Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

get blue screen with blue vertical stripes

by snacks55 / February 6, 2010 6:23 AM PST

computer crashed?about 2 months ago. cleaned it, added some ram total now 512.computer runs,if i open documents pitures,etc,its ok.however if i try to run symantec or read my emails it will give me a few minutes and then goes to this blue striped screen and i have to shut down computer and restart.oh, i also changed the battery on the mb someone said they can get weak,perhaps causing problem beyond that he suggested possible mb chip.
i'm a newbie trying to learn a little appreciate any help i can get.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: get blue screen with blue vertical stripes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: get blue screen with blue vertical stripes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:28 AM PST

Remove the side cover and point a fan at the open case.

If the crashes stop you have proved that some card or part is now heat sensitive. The screen leads me to think it is the video card. I'd do the cover off test first.
Bob

Collapse -
blue screen with vertical blue lines
by snacks55 / February 6, 2010 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

thanks bob
will try the fan test tomorrow and see what happens

Collapse -
fan test results
by snacks55 / February 6, 2010 11:02 PM PST

opened cover set fan on high blowing into case. started comp,it booted up and i then opened mozilla to access email.entered sign on info and almost immediately got blue screen,but this time it had thick black vertical stripes.had to shut down comp.
seems strange because as i said as long as i only access items in documents it seems ok. i have not tried to make any new docs.if i just let comp. run without doing anything,again it continues to run????

Collapse -
What about other than Mozilla?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: fan test results

How about making a NEW account on the PC then install Firefox on that account. Does it work?

Sadly I don't have a good do this cure. It still could be a hardware issue but we'll keep trying.
Bob

Collapse -
new mozilla account
by snacks55 / February 6, 2010 11:57 PM PST

have not tried symantec today.will do that and try changing mozilla
i have messed up work schedule ,so will get back tomorrow.
thanks again

Collapse -
new mozilla account
by snacks55 / February 8, 2010 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: new mozilla account

managed to get live update for symantec today.did not get to mozilla.however i tried deleting some unnecessary programs,files today and comp crashed again.this time a different screen but still with vertical stripes i think very thin gray lines.im beginning to think that you are correct in assuming bad video card.my video card is built into comp. will have to check pricing on one i do not need a gaming card just normal one.i think i will have to disable built in one before i can install drivers for new one.correct?

Collapse -
Here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: new mozilla account

I don't bother with that step anymore. I think I stopped doing that over 5 years ago.

YMMV.
Bob

Collapse -
here
by snacks55 / February 8, 2010 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Here.

sorry bob you lost me what step?

Collapse -
You had one question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: here

"i think i will have to disable built in one before i can install drivers for new one.correct?"

To which I replied I no longer bother most of the time. ATI and Nvidia appear to handle this better and YMMV.
Bob

Collapse -
question
by snacks55 / February 8, 2010 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: You had one question.

oh ok got ya. while im showing my ignorance what does ymmv mean?
and again thank you for taking the time to help

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2010 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: question

Type YMMV at google.com or other search engine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.